Chapter 9 - Risen from the Grave

Felicia smiled as she looked up at the walls of Arion, petting the neck of the horse she rode.

      Finally, she was home.

The others are her grinned over at her, one of the other Guardians clapping her on the shoulder, 'Welcome back from the dead.'

      She couldn't help but laugh, the sound slightly forced as she remembered that Mr. Anderson had told her that they had held a funeral for her. She shuddered, somewhere in the catacombs of Arion was a plaque with her name on it. And on the memorial wall within the Guardian tower a shield with her name engraved into it. It almost was as if she was a ghost, an apparition come back to haunt those that had already accepted she was gone. A smirk twisted her features as she thought of her childhood friend, Aminia. Her reaction would be something she would pay to see, though she'd probably have to hide from the string of tools thrown in her direction for not visiting her more often over the past few years. Unlike Felicia, the quirky mechanic was highly social and had been hounding her to come down to her workshop to meet up. She would be furious to find out that it took Felicia's near death to make her visit her friend. But her anger would only last so long before the sobs of happiness took over and she wrapped her arms around her friend.

      As they approach the walls the excitement they feel becomes tangible, the entire trip had been fairly eventless with the only sign of Hunters being the occasional silhouette in the distance. Felicia frowned as she thought it over, she swore she recognized that shape. She shook her head, no, Theron was free, why would she follow them?

She was pulled out of her thoughts as the familiar sound of the gates sliding open. Looking up she watched as the Guardians stationed by the gate filled out, weapons ready. No one wanted to risk the Hunters getting in while the gates were open. Felicia grinned, spotting someone she knew, a hand went up to wave. She watched as the person in question froze, eyes locked on her as pure disbelief takes over his features. Felicia can imagine the jaw that hangs open behind the gasmask, it takes a while but he returns the wave as the group passes. The moment they entered the city Felicia feels a weight that she hadn't been aware resting on her shoulders slide away. She takes a deep breath, dissecting the many scents of her home.

      She turned to horse and waited for the Guardians from Dryad to join her, the horse falling in beside Hilda who looked around Arion as if it was her first time here. Though, given how often wood merchants visited Arion, it wouldn't be that much of a surprise. 'So, you like what you see?'

      Hilda blinks, turning towards Felicia, confusion warping her brow for a moment before the question hits home, 'Yeah, it's not that different from Dryad is it?'

      Felicia shakes her head, 'As far as I know, most cities look almost identical, even the Ocean Cities have a similar lay out.'

      Hilda cocks an eyebrow, 'Have you ever been to one of the Ocean cities?'

'No, I've never even been to the ocean, though from what I've heard from my superior, Max, they're beautiful.'

      'Lucky bastard, I've always wanted to see the Ocean cities. Did you know that they have Dolphin and Whale Hunters to tow their boats?'

      Felicia can't help but chuckle, 'Yeah, Max told me all about it. You should go talk to him, he never shuts up about the Ocean cities once you get him started... and he always finds a way to bring up the fact that his mother is from Nereid.'

      'Woah! You know someone from the Ocean cities?'

'No. Max was born here in Arion, I've never met his mother.'