Chapter 10: Like Holes in the Sky

At first, they appeared like tiny holes in the sky. Black vortex of tar, spitting out imps and disappearing in a blink.

From his place on a tree's branch, Depression watched his allies appear one after the other. The stringy hair that now grew from his back twitched as he signaled each imp to appear at his side.

They were at a small park in the middle of the estate where Margret lived. Her house was one of the identitical red roofed bungalows that covered the vast landscape.

It was noon, the hot sun and the fact that it was school hours made the park virtually empty. But that was of no importance because no human could see them- well except a dog who was barking up the tree.

Depression swooped down, flapped his wings in the canine's face and bared his fangs. The dog whimpered and ran off with its tail between its legs.

"Yeah, I thought so." Depression smirked at the fleeing dog and flew back up the tree.

All the while the imps dropped, Depression looked about his environment, hoping that no angel paid them heed enough to interfere.

An impossibly wide grin covered his face as he observed all the imps Bermuda sent. They were vicious looking, slightly bigger than he was and they bore no resemblance to depression's near-innocent look.

If one could actually see them, they would resemble a committee of densely populated vultures sitting on a tree. Depression loved the view.

When Depression was certain every Imp had dropped from their pit, he flew forward and motioned for them to be silent.

"Brothers!" his voice was shrill and grating to the ear but the gathering seemed not to notice, instead they hooted and growled in unison.

"I am most pleased to be united with you all after such a long time. Outer darkness has not been kind to me at all."

The imps hissed in agreement and flapped their diverse wings; some possessed torn and tattered pairs while others had shiny black ones, much like those of a raven.

"But as you can see, I lived my term and I am reborn!" Depression pumped a fist in the air to emphasise his point. The imps cheered, baring fangs and clapping with glee.

"I was reborn at a hospital. The place where death and life live so close they could actually be one. Brothers, what more can one ask for? But no, just when I began to sink my claws into my assignment..." Depression snarled as the thick four inch hair at his back stood to their ends and gave off a rattling sound. The gathering felt his distress and anger as they growled along and gnashed their teeth.

"An angel of light!" silence immediately fell upon the gathering and the air became thick with hate and fear.

"I was threatened and treated like a speck of dust! I was pinned to the wall like something displayed for sport! I was humiliated! Why?" Depression's voice rose with each statement and large veins throbbed across his neck and face. His black eyes were filled with rage as his wings flapped lazily in the spiritual air.

"Because of a single woman! A fool who couldn't do a simple thing as drive right! She's just another soul, why are they so selfish with just a SINGLE BLOODY SOUL?!"

The two tiny ivory horn that had begun to bud on the imp's head gleamed as he fluttered back and forth. When he thought of Bermuda's anger and the open sores at his back, his anger soared and he wondered why he had to go through all that suffering over a single soul.

"We would destroy her! She's not even a saint but they still protect her!" Depression spat then continued his rant.

"We would present her to the grim reaper with a giant bow on her useless soul. We would show God and his angels that what's ours is ours and what's his we would not stop coveting! Brothers, are you with me?!" He asked with blazing eyes and clenched fists.

A resounding roar of agreement greeted his hate speech.

"Then rise. Go to that house! Take over every corner, every space! Whisper lies and half-truths. Quench every hope. Plant despair. Plant hopelessness and sorrow. Magnify her grief. Whisper suicidal thoughts. Seduce her pitiful soul with tales of death being the ultimate release and escape. Destroy her!" Depression's eyes were wild as he threw both arms in the air.

The imps shrieked in excitement as they shot into the sky like rockets. When they reached a certain height, they descended in a rush.

They were the arrows, Margret's house was the bull's-eye. They fell into the house like black rain, slinking into the shadows, hiding behind portraits, sitting on furniture and searching for their prey.

But after the frenzy, they realised she wasn't home.

⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇
Hello everyone,
What do you think of my story so far? 😊
As I type this I'm fighting a losing battle with sleep. Smh.
I really appreciate all the votes,  and the comments make me happy. Yeah... lala land is calling, gotta snooze. Take care... love y'all. 😍😚