CATATONIC > EXCERPT

AMSTERDAM

--

"So did you just decide to drop in on my assignment because you've missed me," Catatonic asked, casually observing a weirdly shaped paper weight before looking up at Low and grinning, "or is it because Boss sent you because of that thing with the tank last time?"

"Little bit of both," Low admitted, extending a hand and arching her brows expectantly.

Catatonic pouted. "What, I can't keep the paperweight?"

"Given it's pyramid-shaped and I'm worried you're going to throw it to see how much damage it does, no," Low said flatly. "You can't keep it."

"Can't keep the paperweight, but I can have a gun," Cat muttered, handing the mini-pyramid over to his friend. "Your logic remains flawless as usual."

"Sarcasm not necessary, Cat," Low sighed, visibly resisting the urge to scrub her hands over her face. Cat's winning smile at her in spite of her rapidly dwindling patience wasn't helping her, either. "I'm here to make sure you find Cosette without causing a media uproar. So if you could maybe stop acting like a toddler . . ."

Cat pouted. "Admit it, Low. You missed me."

The barest of smiles tugged at her lips, so brief was the gesture that no other individual would've possibly noticed it. But this was Catatonic, and he knew Low better than he did himself -- and as much though she may try to deny it, she knew him the same. "If I admit it, will you stop acting like a toddler?" she asked, brows rising in warning.

"If I don't, you can throw the weirdly Egyptian paperweight at me," Cat promised with a grin.

"Fine," Low agreed shortly. "I missed you." She pointed a finger at him in warning. "But I did not miss your reckless behavior."

"Lie," he announced with a laugh that held far too much amusement. His sea foam eyes glinted; "C'mon, Low, you know better."

She grumbled something in rapid fire Hindi before visibly testing the weight of the pyramid. She arched a brow challengingly at him. "Sorry, what was that offer you made just a few seconds ago, Kitty?"

Cat's hands shot up in a display of (entirely false) innocence, the mischievous twinkle ever present in his eyes. "Fine, I cede, I cede. But only because I also missed you." He grinned. "Now then-- shall we go take Amsterdam by storm?" he asked, turning toward the door with a too dramatic flourish.

Low rolled her eyes and pocketed the pyramid, following after him out of sheer habit. "Only because you asked so nicely," she muttered under her breath.