Chapter 2

Beta: Manon, Phyllis and Rebekah

Rate: PG-13

Disclaimer: I own only the plot; Tolkien though was the one that created the great world of Middle Earth. I do not own the Lord of the Rings (and associated) book series, nor any of the characters from it. I do not make any money from the writing of the story. Only the OC.

Note: Legolas age is close to 10, only an elfling compared to the other elves.
Note2: Legolas has a stronger connection with the nature than normal.
A/N3: Legolas has a stronger connection than normal.

--

There was silence after Elrond's words.

The elf-lord remembered all too well what had happened to his wife Celebrían – how orcs had attacked the group while she and her guards were on their way to visit her mother, Galadriel, in Lothlórien. He remembered when the twins found her and brought her back, bleeding and in pain.

"Ada?" Elladan asked with concern in his voice.

Elrond looked at his son and noticed the concern in the elder twin's eyes.

"I think we could reach him, Ada. We would be able to reach his heart; we know the pain he is going though now and could help him over come it. Not even time can ever completely heal this wound." Elladan said.

Elrond nodded; he understood how they felt, and he knew his caring sons and his beautiful daughter would find a way to help heal the young prince's heart.

"Is the guest room ready for him?" he asked them.

His three children nodded.

"His room is next to mine," Elladan said. "That way, if he has nightmares, Elrohir and I will be able to hear him first. He is a wood elf and we thought perhaps he would enjoy being able to see the trees from his window. I have moved in some of our old toys and books."

"Let us hope that the prince is not fading," Elrond said. "Even little elflings can fade when their sorrow and grief becomes too much for them to bear."

After five days of long, hard riding, Legolas and his escort arrived in Imladris.

The elf on guard duty informed Elrond and his family that the expected visitors had reached the gate.

When Elrond and his children arrived in the courtyard, they did not spot Legolas at first because the guards hid the prince from their view. They were able to observe the little prince only when the guards moved aside...

They could barely see his heartbroken face, since Legolas' blond hair was in tangles and covered it. They did not see he cried tears like raindrops rolling down his face nor did they hear the quiet sobs that shook his whole body. They only saw a young elfling who they thought cried because he wanted his ada and nana.

Legolas quietly continued to weep and did not seem to be aware of where he was, nor what went on around him. He did not even seem to notice they had arrived in Rivendell and the horses had stopped.

Elrond walked slowly over to the prince, and tried to help him dismount the large horse. Legolas slumped against the elf lord but made no move to get off on his own.

"Prince Legolas?" Elrond asked softly, his voice full of care.

There was no clear answer from the prince.

Elrond leaned further on Legolas' horse, trying to reach him, and he noticed the sparkle of tears behind his hair as the sun shone on them.

He took the small prince in his arms, and moving him softly, tried to comfort him.

Legolas continued weeping quietly in Elrond's arms, oblivious to all else.

Elrond watched the crying elfling as he carried him towards the house. Elladan and Elrohir wanted to comfort him too, but they were not sure how to accomplish this without hurting him, or causing him more pain.

Elrond raise his eyes to the guards and asked them, "How long has he been crying?"

They could give no answer for they did not know.

"He looks tired as well, has he slept recently?" Elrond questioned when he noticed the tired look on Legolas' face.

"I..... believe so, my lord," One guard answered hesitantly, unsure of the answer.

This was not a sufficient answer for Elrond. He could felt something was amiss, and he needed to know what it was.

"I see, thank you." The Lord of Imladris nodded. "You may leave, he is in good hands now," he assured them. "Please take food and rest before heading back to Lasgalen."

"Yes, my lord." The guards bowed, and left.

Elrond carried the now sleeping elfling to the room next to Elladan's and laid him on the soft bed. He hoped that nothing would disturb him, and that Legolas would get his much-needed sleep.

While Elrond laid down the elfling, his children stood just outside the room and discussed Legolas' troubles.

"He is so beautiful, what can possibly make him so..." Arwen's voice trailed off, she could not continue, for she felt Legolas' pain. Pain of loss and separation.

"Arwen, he is only an elfling. I hope father can help him," Elrohir said placing a reassuring hand on his sister's shoulder.

"Yes, father will help him, and we will be his new friends," The eldest twin said positively.

Elrond crossed the room to stand by his children, and looking back at the grieving prince, said, "Let him sleep, he needs to rest." They all left the room.

The four of them gave a last glance at Legolas who lay asleep in the bed. He slept so peacefully, they thought there was nothing that could ever disturb his sleep. They were wrong.