Showdown

We eat sandwiches and fries before leaving the diner. I'm still in my grungy cheer uniform. No one has mentioned changing. Now that we're out in public, I feel the stares that come with these stupid orange monstrosities. I can almost hear their thoughts. A cheerleader with nine guys? Of course she's sleeping with all of them--probably at the same time.

I must be disconcertingly quiet. They keep glancing between me and Owen like I'm going to stab him with my dinner fork at any moment. Am I angry? Absolutely. Are there more important things to worry about? Yes, but not as many as there were.

After the guys pay, we go outside to the slew of vehicles they've brought. I only now realize we're at the diner close to my old house. A violent shudder threatens to send me to my knees, but I hold it in by locking my spine.

"Where are we going now?" I ask Kota, who has been silently observing everyone since we got to the diner.

"Nate's house is what was decided," he answers.

"Alright. I'll walk then," I tell the group at large. No one seems to want to argue, but instead join me as I make my way down the sidewalk.

When we get to Nate's house, a plain police cruiser waits in the driveway. My stomach drops further, but I find some strength when Nate seeks out my eyes and gives a reassuring smile and nod. So they expected this. I'm glad SOMEONE was informed! Hmpf!

The hairs at the back of my neck raise in warning. I'm being watched. Looking around, I spot Sheriff Jefferies and Captain Smith sliding out of the sedan with the official license plates. The guys must be anticipating this, as Sean and North slow to walk with them. I feel slightly ashamed that I'm glad it wasn't Owen walking them in. Sean calls that woman on her garbage, so I know it's intentional he is part of the welcome wagon.

Luke nudges my arm, and when I meet his eyes, he smiles and grabs my hand to place a chocolate kiss in my palm. I smile in return, but my thoughts quickly turn dark again. Luke's encouraging smile becomes forced, and he nods to the door.

"Let's go inside, Cupcake. We still have a lot to go over, and some of it will be really hard to hear."

Those that made it inside before me seem to have taken the same seats as we used for our last meeting with these law enforcement personnel. Instead of taking a seat near or on Owen's lap, I make a quick detour to the bathroom to change. After I'm dressed, I swing into the kitchen and rummage through the utility drawer. When I find what I'm seeking, I go back to the living room and plant myself on Owen's lap.

Everyone still seems to be watching my every move, so I ensure my passive face in in place. Owen places one of his hands on my legging-clad thigh, and the other is laid on the armrest of the couch. Instead of grabbing his hand and holding it like I want to, I stuff my hand into the large pocket on the front of my hoodie.

"Right, then. Let's get started with this nasty business," Captain says, trying to break the tension in the room.

"I will be taking your statement, Miss Sorenson," the sheriff states sharply.

"Thank you. That saves me a trip to the station." I try my hardest not to let sarcasm enter my voice.

"It will have to be done with some fancy paperwork tweaks. Owen has informed me that you would like to keep your ghost status intact for the time being, so I'll have to file it as one would if the victim is in the witness protection program," she says sharply.

"Oh, lay off it already, Brenda. I told you that, so stop trying to make it sound like you've spoken to Owen since the last time he told you to watch your step around his girlfriend," Sean butts in.