Part 3

At the end of the three hours, Clementine had escaped the first round without disaster, but not without Adam's help

At the end of the three hours, Clementine had escaped the first round without disaster, but not without Adam's help. While toasting garlic, she'd nearly let her bread get over-kneaded in the mixer. Only a warning from Adam to check her dough saved her. She wasn't necessarily glad to have him right behind her to tease her whenever he found the time, but she was sincerely grateful for what he did, needlessly so and to his own detriment, to save her bake. He was still insufferable, but she wouldn't forget the kindness and silently vowed to repay him for it. She couldn't bear the notion that Adam might think she needed his help to get through the competition.

Tilly Trifle and Ansel Carlisle returned while the crew hurried to clean off the stations for the contestants to present their bakes to the judges. Clementine gave her perfectly round focaccia a final examination, and with a quick peek over her shoulder, found the sourdough loaf on Adam's station the perfect shade of golden brown. She didn't have long to look before all the bakes were whisked away to another tent for "glamour shots".

As each glamour shot was finished, the bake was brought back into the big tent for the judges to sample. Rose's rye loaf was first. Tilly Trifle seemed pleased with the fluffy texture and Ansel Carlisle had nothing but praise for the consistency of the cook. Clementine gave Rose a thumbs up when the woman turned to give her a surprised smile. She could tell Rose was distraught by the wringing of her hands on her apron. Even Clementine wasn't immune to nerves as she watched her father work his way through the group of bakers, pointing out the smallest of their flaws — at least she had experience with this part.

Finally, it was Adam's turn, and Clementine watched eagerly to see what her father would say. Ansel Carlisle looked warily at the golden loaf of sourdough and despite her less-than-savory history with Adam, she didn't wish her father's scrutiny on anyone. It was a simple loaf of bread compared to the other bakes around the tent. Many contestants had opted to do complicated braids and fillings in their Showcase Bakes — rustic definitely wasn't her father's style.

"What do you have for us today, Adam?" Tilly asked with a voice sweeter than marzipan.

"I have a loaf of sourdough bread, and if you have a taste for it, ginger and bourbon peach jam," he said with a camera-ready smile.

"Did you use a starter?" Ansel asked as he took a knife to cut away a slice for Tilly and himself.

"I used a 75-year-old starter, a gift to me from one of my mentors," Adam replied.

Tilly's pale brows shot towards her hairline. "Really?" She took a bite of the bread. "Oh my yes, this is quite delicious. Light and delicate but still hearty enough." She dipped the second half of her slice into the jam and came away with a generous helping. "And the jam," she said around her second bite. "It's sweet and smokey and it's a great compliment to that sour note that gives sourdough its name."

"Thank you, Tilly," Adam said before looking to Ansel.

Clementine watched her father chew thoughtfully and wipe his hands on a napkin. "I quite agree. It's a great bake," he said, and that was it.