Distress

"Let's breakup." 

His eyes were looking at anywhere but her. His tone was insipid – barely showing any emotions even though they had been dating for three years now.

"What?" Nora was confused. She knew they haven't been seeing each other for just a little over two weeks and had only communicated via text messages, but why did he want to break up with her? They had couple quarrels here and there, but overall, it was a healthy relationship. 

Was he willing to flush three years worth of love down the drain? 

His sudden outburst of waiting to meet with her was strange, but she still accepted the invitation. However, the only thing he was doing during this meeting was breaking up with her.

Multiple thoughts and questions scattered her mind. Was it her fault that he was breaking up with her? Did she do something wrong and not have realised? Her facial features were scrunched into a perplexed expression.

"I know what you're thinking Nora. It's not your fault. It's just..." He hesitated, rubbing the back of his neck and looking to the side, to the small lake in the park, "It's just –" She knew he was going to lie. She had been with him for three years now and it would be strange if she didn't know everything or almost everything about him.

"Please," she begged, "Please don't lie." She chocked out the words, "just tell me the truth." Her eyes started welling up with clear liquid.

Mark let out a nervous chuckle, "I guess you would know all about me, since we dated for a long time," He was right. Three years was a long time – a very long time – and he was willing to wash it all down in the drain.

"Well, I've...met someone new," He let out a deep breath.

Realisation hit Nora as she heard those words. She knew straightaway whom he was talking about – the girl she saw with him at the coffee shop. So it was her who stole her man, she thought.

"So it was her." She spoke softly, almost like a mumble, but Mark was able to hear it.

"Who?" A confused expression was painted on his face. It was now his turn to be confused.

"The girl you were with at the coffee shop just a few days ago." Nora stated. Her voice didn't sound like she was going to cry any minute now, but instead, it sounded confident and strong, which was weird for the current situation.

"You saw us?" He spoke in surprise. He furrowed his brows - She was there? I didn't even see her, he thought.

"Yes I was there. You just walked straight past me!" Her tone was angry. She wasn't sad anymore, instead, anger bubbled in her chest.

Mark was speechless. He didn't know what to say to her, "I-I didn't even see you." That was all he could come up with.

"Of course you wouldn't, you were probably too captivated by her to even notice your girlfriend and now ex-girlfriend of three years!"

Mark just scratched his head and stood there sheepishly. Nora sighed. She didn't care anymore. Even though she had been with him for a long time, those heart breaking words still hurt her, but she somehow knew the relationship between her and Mark wouldn't last forever. They must've fell out of love a while ago.

"When did you start...seeing her," She didn't know what word she should use.

"Well, I knew her for a few months now, but I didn't start seeing her until two weeks ago." He sheepishly said. He was nervous – nervous about when Nora was going to burst out in tears. But she didn't, all she did was give a small nod. She didn't have anything else to say to him.

"I really did like you, Nora." Mark spoke. His voice was soft, almost like he was trying to comfort her.

Nora rubbed her eyes with her hand and sighed, "I know, and I did too, but I guess it's over now. I wish you well, with her. Goodbye." She turned her heel around and started walking away – away from the man who tossed her away.