Prologue

Seated in his office that morning, Vishal's eyes flickered to his mobile. Should I send her an "I'm sorry, darling" message? No, why should I? She's the one who's acting weird, then why should I apologize to her? I won't.

It's true, the long distance relationship had been better. We had been so happy when she was away at Italy. Now that she's back, she isn't the same anymore. I miss her calls. What is wrong with you, darling? Why can't you call me now and talk to me like you used to when you were in Italy?

Shreya is my wife; my darling, who I loved so much. But today, she feels like a stranger. Why? I don't know.

***

Shreya walked into her friend's boutique. The place was looking completely different. Swati has rearranged and decorated this boutique and displayed our designs so beautifully! Where is she?

Shreya spotted a familiar face chatting to a customer near the work table. Is that Swati? No way, that can't be her! Shreya stared at her friend, agape for a moment.

The customer left and Swati finally noticed Shreya as she was the only other person standing inside the boutique.

"Swats! Oh my gosh, I can't believe my eyes! You look so different! I've been away for three months and this is such a pleasant surprise!" Shreya gasped as she finally found her voice.

Swati smiled meekly.

"But I miss that cute little fringe of yours, Swats! You shouldn't have changed it." Shreya pouted, before breaking into a grin and saying, "But I'm very happy to see you like this! You're looking so beautiful, happy and cool with your new style of dressing and your new hairstyle and everything!"

Swati broke into a grin as she hugged her friend. "Hi, Shrey."

"So, who's the reason for this sudden change in you?"

This time, Swati stared at Shreya in astonishment.

"Don't tell me that you're still thinking about Dev and haven't moved on. He's not worth your love, Swati! How many times he has left you without an explanation? He doesn't love you as much as you love him. I'm sure there will be someone else out there for you somewhere. He will love you more than you can imagine, Swats, believe me."

Swati smiled a bit. "I have moved on from him, Shrey, but I haven't moved into another relationship. Yet."

"Yet? Does that mean you already have someone in mind?" Shreya narrowed her eyes playfully.

Swati's smile faded and she turned her face away.

"What happened?"

"Nothing. You will know sooner or later, Shrey. Now, tell me about yourself. You had gone to Italy for three months. It's been weeks since you got back but you didn't bother to even call and talk or me or meet me till today."

"I'm sorry, Swats. I was caught up with some problems when I got back. I first thought I'll meet you after the problems are cleared. But since the problems are only getting worse, I thought I'll meet you today itself. You always had the best advice for me whenever I had a problem before so I thought you might be able to help."

"Problem? Why? What happened?"

"I don't know, Swats. When I first returned from Italy, Vishal seemed very happy to have me back. But then he slowly started drifting away. In the beginning, I thought it must be his work tensions and demands affecting him. But later, I realized he was deliberately avoiding me. We didn't even speak a word to each other for a week.

I tried talking to him last night but he is asking what's the problem with me. He talks like as though he prefers the long distance relationship we had when I was at Italy rather than having me here with him. I don't know what's gone wrong where. I'm feeling so confused, Swati."

"What is wrong with him? He's the one who urged you to go to Italy, how can he hurt you like this now after you came back? He doesn't realize how lucky he is to have got a wife like you."

"Even I am lucky to have got a husband like Vi. Swats, you know I don't like it if anyone speaks ill of him, right?"

"What has happened to you, Shrey? You have changed. You've become so naive now. Like all other married woman, this stupid marriage has changed you as well."

Stupid marriage? Shreya frowned a bit, glancing at her friend.

"Before marriage, if anyone hurt you, you wouldn't let them go without hurting them in return, at least one percent of how much they had hurt you. You would hurt them just to make them realize how they had hurt you. You were an expert at planning. Why aren't you doing something now?"

"Swati, I love Vi. I can't hurt him. And also there is something in my mind that I want to tell him. Until I tell him that, my mind won't rest."

"What is it?"

"Actually, I want Vi to know it first. I wanted to tell him as soon as I got back but I was so tired that I forgot to tell him at first. Then, I never got the chance to tell him after that. I felt he would notice it himself but he hasn't. I want him to be the first one to know it. After I tell him, I'll call and tell you next, okay?"

"Okay." Swati answered, with a slight frown as she pondered what her friend could be thinking about.

To be continued...

A/N: Please vote and comment. How is the prologue?