Chapter Eleven

The days slipped into a month; one month since Sisi's escape from Chief's prison. It was a month since she came into a family that made her feel like she was a part of something important. The time went by quickly, and with it, the memories of her past. Perhaps those memories did not take her nightmares with them, but she was learning to deal with them through her continued stay in Remi's house. She felt safe here.

She made her way to the kitchen in search of a snack, pausing by the door when she heard harsh whispers drifting from the kitchen. Remi had left her alone with Mrs Joke and Jummy, and, reluctant to interrupt the conversation between mother and child, Sisi hesitated. She did not like running into Mrs Joke, especially because the woman gave her dirty looks every time she did.

Heaving a soft sigh, she turned to walk away.

"You are getting rid of that baby!" Mrs Joke yelled, forcing Sisi to a halt.

Stunned, she turned around stiffly.

"You will marry Remi!" Mrs Joke continued. "That boy you claim to love has nothing to offer you. Look at me!" she barked, and a loud gasp followed her words. Mentally, she imagined Mrs Joke gripping Jummy's chin. "Look at us! We have nothing. I made the worst decision of my life the day I married your father. I will not, no, never let you continue in my path!"

"Papa was a good man; he was good to you!" Jummy sounded defensive.

"Yes, he was good enough to die broke and wretched. I curse the day I met your father. Now, you will get rid of that thing growing in you or I will get rid of it for you."

Silence followed. Wincing softly, Sisi stepped forward and pressed her ear to the wooden door.

"Remi doesn't have an heir. Eventually, Jesse will get married and leave. You need to be the one to give him a son to inherit all of this wealth. Don't let that woman, Sisi, take your place; a place you worked so hard to get." Sluggish footsteps followed, pausing in the center of the room, where Sisi imagined Jummy sat at the isle. "You may think you love that boy, but you will find out too late that love is not always important. Love doesn't fill a hungry stomach."

Too shocked to move, Sisi stood, glued to her position. Mrs Joke reminded her of her own parents, and Jummy was in a similar position she had been in a few years ago. The only difference between the two women was that Sisi hadn't been given the opportunity to choose. Jummy was old enough to resist her mother's demands; Sisi had been young and helpless.

A few minutes passed before the door flew open, causing Sisi to lose her footing. She fell forward, scraping her elbow on the tiled floor.

"Are you alright?!" Jummy gasped, leaning down quickly to help Sisi to her feet.

The feeling of embarrassment numbed the pain in her elbow. "I'm fine." Sisi dusted her dress. "I am just too clumsy for my good." She laughed nervously.

Jummy stared at her for several seconds, a small frown denting her young features. Seventeen, perhaps? She was only a child, yet she was being made to make a tough decision.

In that second, Sisi felt sorry for her. She reached out, stopping her when she made to leave. "Jummy?"

Jummy turned to her. "Yes?" Her frown remained on her face.

Sisi stepped forward. "I... umm... I heard everything," she confessed, and Jummy's frown deepened. Sisi ran her tongue over her bottom lip. "Where is your mother? I would like to talk to you privately."

Jummy shrugged her off, stepping back as her eyes caught fire. "You don't know what you heard! I'll stay away if I were you. It's none of your business." She spun around and walked away.

Mentally kicking herself, Sisi settled on a stool. Jummy was mad at her, and for good reason. Perhaps she must learn to mind her business. She couldn't have the entire house turning on her; first it was Mrs Joke, then it was Remi—who still hadn't had a decent conversation since their argument about the importance of prayer—and now, it was Jummy.

She was alone and hated by all, and she hated the feeling.

..........

Mrs Joke went about her work with a smile plastered on her face. She smiled because she didn't want anyone to suspect she was burning inside. She fought to keep herself from breaking every furniture in sight, and there was no one to be blamed but her stupid daughter, Jumoke.

Jummy reminded her of herself in the past; a naïve teenager, one who had been stupid enough to run off with a local farmer and marry him against the wishes of her parents. At the time, she thought she was in love. But it didn't take long to find that love didn't pay the bills, nor did love have the power to entrap a wandering heart—a heart that dreamed of something better when she heard tales of life in the city. They were tales told to her by girls her age who had been privileged to go to college.

A few years passed, and with them, her desire to go to the city grew. Her wretched husband could not afford it, and taking her six-year-old daughter, she ran off to the city.

Her life, however, never got better. She lacked the education for a good job, and six months later, upon the news of her husband's death reaching her, she was forced to remain in Lagos and care for her child. It wasn't until she met Remi and began working for him, that she saw the light at the end of her gloomy tunnel of a life.

It was unfortunate that Jummy posed a threat to her light.

No, she shook her head. She would not let Jummy ruin her plans to marry her off to Remi by giving birth to an unwanted child. She would force her to get an abortion. It wasn't even Jummy's decision to make; she was her child, and she had a right to beat that baby out of her if the need arose. If Jummy hadn't had enough of poverty, Mrs Joke was certain she had had her fair share of it and was done with it. She would force the girl to marry Remi if she had to.

Sisi walked past in that second. Mrs Joke watched her

At that moment, Sisi walked past. Annoyed, Mrs Joke watched her as she took a glass of water and left the kitchen. She wondered about Sisi; who was she and why did Remi have so much interest in her? Sisi was another thing that posed a threat to Mrs Joke's light, and she was certain she would not hesitate to deal with her if the need arose.