•Chapter 16•

Jason stood beside Sara as Ryan met them in the gardens. He watched the young alpha with alertness, ready to run or protect his mate. When Ryan smiled at them, Jason frowned.

Ryan sighed, "I, uh...want to apologize for everything."

Jason clenched his jaw before nodding, "Okay."

"I didn't want to believe my father was an actual pedophile. The same man who raised me..." he ran his hand through his hair.

"I saw what he was planning on doing to Iris, I'm disgusted with him and myself. I shouldn't have just automatically assume you would lie about something like that. But I'm also sorry for everything before. For bullying you, abusing you, and just overall, being an ass. I'm not expecting us to be friends, but at least to be civil."

"I'll make sure my pack leaves you and your family alone." He finished.

Jason pursed his lips, "Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why did you hate my kind so much then just suddenly...change your mind?" Jason asked.

Ryan swallowed, "Because I-I...I love a skin-walker."

"Who?"

"You don't want to know that and I'm sure she doesn't love me. How could she? I hurt her." Ryan murmured.

Sara smiled softly, "Jason hurt me...a lot, but look at me now. I'm his mate and pregnant with our first child."

Ryan smiled, "But he made up for the pain he caused. He sacrificed himself for your happiness."

"Would you do the same for this girl?" Jason questioned.

Ryan nodded, "Without a doubt."

"Then, maybe she'll forgive you and learn to love you. Until then, try doing things to earn her forgiveness. First step, apologizing to her."

"Thanks Jason...does this mean we're good?" Ryan asked.

Jason shrugged, "We'll see."

"Well, I guess that's good enough." Ryan grinned.

Jason walked into the kitchen to see Dimitri leaning against the counter, massaging his temples. He bit his lip, debating on whether or not to walk in. He sighed and stood beside the pained king.

"You alright?" He asked, bringing Dimitri out of his thoughts.

"No." He mumbled.

Jason frowned, "What's wrong?"

"Rose and I got into an argument...I don't even remember what had happened. Apparently, I was drunk again...but I've been clean for the past few years. I-I broke my promise to her."

"Your promise?"

"To always keep her safe. How am I supposed to keep her safe if I'm the danger?"