Chapter 2

Jonah

I letthe back door to the office close and latch, then I lean against it—everyshallow breath sends a bolt of pain through my chest. The doctor hasn't cleared me to return to work full-time so, aside from the six o'clock phone call I received from a frantic homeowner, I still can't figure out why I bothered to drag my ass out of bed. Dad has already seen to everyone's workload and I know that despite the accusations that had been flying around when he was assigned the position, my investigators are perfectly capable of carrying out their jobs.

However, the responsible control freak reared its head, and since I can't enjoy sleeping anyway, at least office drama will keep me occupied.

Even if it won't come close to taking my mind off the pain.

I see Cole across the room, staring down at her phone, and I nod in her direction when she glances up. She smiles back faintly, but there is something off about her. I haven't known her long, but she seems hollow and pale compared to the girl I'd met on my first day in the office.

Kaylyn had been a handful from the very beginning—hot headed and stubborn—but Cole takes the work seriously, she's always chipper and easy-going. When the sisters are together, they naturally play off each other's opposing personalities. I wonder for a second why Kaylyn Isn't with her until I round the corner and see the older sister at the coffee table, standing next to a wide-shouldered man with short black hair.

Kaylyn glances in my direction and smiles—it's tight and wary, as if she doesn't know what to expect or say.

"Morning," I say, nodding to them both while watching Cole out of the corner of my eye. "You're early."

"And you look half dead." Kaylyn's voice is slightly higher with concern as she looked me over. "Are you sure you're good to be up and around?"

Her blunt concern is touching.

"It's only a few fractured bones," I say, and while true, that doesn't make the injury any less painful. "But I'm not cleared for full duty—four hours a day, max. I'll only be here long enough to go through paperwork and make sure everyone's on track."

"Which could take all day," Kaylyn says, quirking an eyebrow.

She's too right, but I don't want to consider the possibility. I look over the vaguely familiar man next to her, but before I can place the face, Kaylyn speaks up. "Leon Franklin, my old training partner."

The man steps forward and offers his hand. "I believe we met in passing, years ago."

"Jonah," I reply, with a handshake. "So, you managed to survive this one for three years?"

"And her sister for a year and a half. I see you barely made it a week—although," he slides a sideways glance to Kaylyn. "I do have to commend you on whatever impression you made."

Kaylyn's eyes widen and she turns to the coffee pot to refill her cup, which is undoubtedly filled with more cream and sugar than coffee.

Leon jabs her in the side. "I was alluding to the fact that you're early and professionally dressed—after only a week in charge, that's commendation worthy."

I hold back a laugh, knowing the pain would nearly topple me over. "If only the council saw it all as an accomplishment. I directly went against them twice in my first week here; they're not thrilled to say the least."

Kaylyn spins back around. "But you also saved my ass, more than twice. They have to give you credit for that."

"I'm sure that's my only redemption. They've gone quiet so, with any luck, they'll forget the whole thing." I lean against the wall near the table, pressing my back into a straight line that takes some of the pressure off the fractures. "Dad said you helped him organize the office files last week. You were supposed to be taking some time off as well."