Chapter 3

Kaylyn 

"Looks like we're investigating a farmhouse out on Hellwig Road." My foot squeaks against the chair as I adjust in my seat. The file notes from Jonah's early-morning intake interview cover the screen in front of me, while across the table, Cole fiddles with a pen.

"Appropriate for a haunting," Cole replies dryly.

I lift a brow—usually, I'm the distant smart ass, but for the last few days, Cole has been giving me competition in that area. This duo can only survive one person in that category, but given recent circumstances, I understand the change. Problem is, I don't have the slightest idea how to deal with it, or whether or not I'm supposed to. Every time I try to talk to Cole, we're interrupted by some new distraction—usually Cole's fiancé or his family.

And I'm left sitting over here feeling like I've somehow failed her. I don't know if I'm supposed to apologize or what. This is not my strong suit. It's hers.

The whole thing is exacerbated by the fact that since the moment I found out that I was adopted, I've been harboring a scream that could collapse the grand canyon. The only sister and best friend I've ever known is now a million miles away. Just like I'd pushed her a million miles away when the dreams had started. Neither of us seem to be in a position to help the other.

Hoping that the mood would eventually pass on its own, I choose to concentrate on the case, so I continue reading. "They moved in a month ago but only noticed little things. Over the weekend, things escalated and the owner's brother was attacked in the attic. All activity seems to be worst in the attic and basement."

"Attacked?" Cole asks, dropping the pen on its end. It bounces across the table and lands on the floor in front of the doorway, where two large black boots also stop. Leon's wide shoulders fill most of the open frame, which creaks as he leans against it.

"You with us, Lee?" Cole asks with a faint smile.

"I am." He nudges the pen with the tip of his boot, rolling it across the floor back to Cole. "It also looks like I'm acting commander until Jonah feels better," he eyes me, and I drop my eyes to the computer. "What's your plan?"

"Interview the family," I reply. "Get a good sweep of the house then reassess where to go from there."

Cole nods in agreement. "We'll have to assemble a full history on the house so we'll have more information to work from."

History. That's also my usual forte. I guess we've undergone a complete switch.

"Cassidy and Gina are finishing up paperwork on their last case," Leon says. "They can pull records while we're talking to the family. We need to make sure they aren't in danger, so getting over there is our top priority for now."

Cole starts to speak, but her vibrating phone captures her attention—an all too often occurrence lately. She taps it a few times then tucks it away. "If it's okay with you two, I'll meet you at the house. I have something to take care of. It won't take long, promise."

I shrug, wishing I knew how to help her, or at least, alleviate some of her stress. I've worked with victims of paranormal attack on a regular basis for years, but I usually looked to Cole to lead in the "people" arena. I'm the fact-checker and schemer, but when it came to dealing with people, my mouth usually gets me into trouble.

I look at Leon, who nods in agreement, as Cole grabs her things and heads out without another word.

Leon lifts his eyebrows as she passes but also doesn't comment on her abrupt and abnormal behavior. Instead, he continues with business at hand. "Give me a few minutes to tell Cassidy and Gina about the case and we can head over together."

"Aww, just like old times," I drawl with a smile, even though beneath the surface, my emotions are all over the place. Being alone with Leon again will give him time to ask questions, and he knows me too well.

Leon pats my shoulder and takes a step back. "Get your stuff together and meet me in the lobby."

As I pack a small equipment bag with a few essentials we might need for the interview, my mind begins a pre-mature assault, armed with all of the questions I predict Leon will ask as soon as we're trapped inside a vehicle together. I lift my eyes to the ceiling and hope that this time, all of his questions will be about the case.

I 'F