Chapter Twenty- Cortado

{Chapter Twenty}

My eyes widen as the words leave her mouth,"Excuse me?"

"You think I don't know you are using my son for his money?" Ester hisses.

Before I can reply, a hand connects with Ester's cheek causing everyone to gasp. I look back to see a fuming Pat. Oh no.

"You really think you can come on my territory and abuse my girl?" Pat exclaims. "You thought wrong!"

"Do you know who I am? I am-" Ester starts.

"No one gives a crap who you are!"

"Pat stop, there must be some kind of misunderstanding," I grab Pat's arm before she can pounce on Ester.

"There is no misunderstanding. You are a gold digger!" Ester accuses.

"Mom, stop!" Max steps in front of me.

"Now you are bewitched by her? I'm your mother, it's my job to protect you from people like her."

"People like me?" I look up at her. "What are people like me?"

"Greedy, selfish, self-centered and deceptive."

"People like me..." I chuckle humorlessly, my chest tightening.

"Yes-" Ester snarls.

"Then what are people like you?" I feel tears prick the corners of my eyes. Ester seems taken aback by my question as she searches for the right words to say.

"Jade..." Max says gently.

"Sure, my family has financial problems and my father ran away from home but I have morals," I feel tears pool my eyes but I refuse to cry. "I would never stoop that low and I'm not starting now."

"Get out before I drag you out," Pat points to the door, looking at Ester intensely.

"Max, we are leaving," Ester says.

"No, you are leaving," Max glares at his mother.

"We are leaving," Ester says lowly.

"Go and take your mother home,"
I turn to Max and give him a small smile.

"What about you?"

"Go."

Max gives me one more look before hesitantly following his mother out of the coffee shop.

"I can't believe her!" Pat says before turning to me. "Are you okay?"

I nod before going back to wiping the table.

People like you.

Greedy, selfish, self-centered and deceptive.

"You think I don't know you are using my son for his money?"

Gold digger.

The statements consume my mind as I continue to wipe the tables. Why would Ester suddenly accuse me of being a gold digger? We used to get along so well and she treated me like her own daughter.