Chapter 8 - Guardian of the Pearl

"H-hullo," we both greeted him. I pulled out the pearl from the insides of my pocket. "So Eduardo did really send off you two," he said, gaping in astonishment at my hands and dipping his head in acknowledgment. We both stared at him, feeling again for the second time confused as how our teacher could be associated with people so far away from home. 

        Tony gazed at the pearl, the edges of his ice blue eyes wet with tears. "Oh, how long has it been," he reminisced with his own past. We sat with him on that same dining table, gazing out the windows to admire the beautiful sunset. "Thank you. You can keep it, I'm sure Fraënir must have seen something in you to have trusted you with our prized possession," he smiled gratefully, his expression revealing a mix of raw emotions as he returned the pearl. We gave him time to compose himself.

        "This was the first pearl that Fraënir gave Caella among the hundreds that you see on the beach. It was her last wish for me to return them back to the Meisa, and that back to him. She died of the Yellow Fever, despite everyone's attempts of finding a cure," his eyes were distant, a weak smile tugging at the edges of his lips. "The ring and the phoenix is the symbol of the rebellion in Celtara years ago, a ring of friendship. We left one ring with Seibara's apprentice who chose to stay for a lovely girl. Caella chose to leave with me, but drained after the trip across the desert we decided to continue our lives by this peaceful beach," he said, fingers caressing the worn out paint, "I apologize for sending you both off to meet Fraënir but I had to make sure you had no dark intentions towards us." 

        He continued, "But I did not expect him to hand it over, nor for you to return wounded. Fraënir was a gentle creature..." He trailed off, pulling out some clean bandages from a nearby cabinet. "He was traumatized by a group of treasure hunters. I'm sure he had meant well," I explained on his behalf. "I hope it will heal quickly; here's some of Caella's ointments. Why don't you two go and freshen up? I'll prepare dinner."

     Dan opened the door to reveal a king-sized bed. The room was furnished with a basic wardrobe and a fluffy white carpet, and a painting of a cruising dragon adorning the bare walls. Our supplies were propped up at the edge of the bed, another door leading to the bathroom. "As a gentleman, ladies first," Dan bowed. "Now you say that," I chuckled sarcastically. "Fine, I'll take a shower, go check on our animal companions and return dirty to soil up our fresh mattresses," he smirked. I waved at him dismissively, knowing full well that he had already made his mind. 

        While waiting for the bath to fill up, I undressed myself, throwing my torn shirt and bits of clothing into a messy pile on the floor. Three long red lines gouged on my body, blood crusted. "What kind of princess are you?" I asked myself, voicing out Wendell's words in my head. I had the languid grace of a fighter and the body of a huntress, both despicable to noble eyes. Instead of soft supple skin I had calluses on my fingertips over the days of riding Athlea, and there was clear lines of muscle throughout my body. A grim smile played on my lips as I realized I had already made my resolve days ago; I would be the princess that would end the war, even if it meant being torn up bloody and full of scars. For Rico.

        With that determination I slowly stepped into the depths of the warm bath water, wincing at the pain. There was no point in getting them infected. I berate myself for forgetting that Terrea was not here to help me - it has only been a year and yet I have grown so accustomed to palace life. Stretching my fingers I grabbed the sponge, lathering it with sweet smelling soap. Tiredly, I started to scrub the dirt off the pores of my skin and between my fingers, slowly turning the water into a disgusting murky color. I smirked at the thought of seeing the noble girls at the mansion squeal in disgust. I moved on to washing my hair and rinsing myself off in water and patting my skin dry with the white cotton towels and applying the medicine on the cleaned wounds. Then I washed all our dirty clothes, letting them dry over the side.

        Looking over my bag, I took out a light yellow dress and some brown shorts. Finally feeling fresh, I opened the door only to see Dan in a dark navy blue shirt with some khaki pants. "Finally clean, Commander?" I inquired sweetly. "Yes. You look beautiful as usual, Princess," he flashed a handsome grin. I hushed him, as we both remembered our identities were still a secret. We followed the delicious smell of roasted meat.

       "Without Caella around, I had to learn to cook," Tony said proudly as he introduced us to sweet peppered roast and a pot of cream soup. The animals were well sheltered in a barn at the edge of the hut. He had a Pegasus of his own, often travelling to Dedraun for supplies once in a while. "In fact, I'd be happy to accompany you both along this time," he said.

        After the horses had a day of rest it should be all right for them to continue on; travelling over the Meisa involved two days of non-stop flying in good weather. Tiny islands rested on its surface but that was a trap as serpents oft attacked any living creature unfortunate enough to stay. We would set out tomorrow morning. After helping Tony clean things up, we packed enough food and water for the journey and retired to our own rooms.

       "Umm... there's only one bed so I'll just sleep on the couch outside," Dan blushed, the redness touching the tips of his ears. The three of us have slept together so often when we were kids, it’s real funny to see him act like this. 

       "Oh you idiot, I can't believe we're still fussing over this," I threw our only defense against the cold these few days on the floor. "You can snuggle on this cozy bed large enough to fit two or you can enjoy the cold hard floor," I sat on the bed and tried my best seductive voice, even sending him a wink. 

        He moved close, much closer than I expected. "You're gonna regret saying that," he breathed. Up close, I have never noticed the tiny freckles near his dimples, the emerald eyes studying my face. Flustered, I moved back and threw him a pillow. “You bet I won’t.”     

        He caught it with ease after years of practice, chuckling and sliding into his sleeping bag, hugging the pillow tightly like he always does. I pulled the covers close, enjoying the soft sheets. They were not velvet or silk, but after all the things we've been through, all this - was a pleasure. But even that wasn't enough to give me a dreamless night.

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

       I was alone in the eastern forest, sword in hand and bow slung over my shoulder. During the more peaceful times Eduardo had led us here to hunt game in hopes to train and hone the hunter instincts deep within us. I heard a loud scream overhead, and despite the heavy feeling of uncertainty deep inside, I rushed over. 

       The scene awaiting me was familiar; I have gone through this same dream so many times before. The forest was red, even the leaves a dark contrast to the black trunks and the empty dilated pupils of the lifeless humans piled on the ground. That is the most horrible thing; knowing that the entire experience is all but superficial and yet for those few moments they were all but real.

       The scream came from, of course, Rico. He was within the flames, the scorching heat enamating and burning the surrounding bodies. Despite the heat I am frozen and bound to the ground, too stunned to move. He would stare at me with his dark blue eyes, an ocean of longing of salvation from the excruciating pain. Then Dan shoved me, eyes full of accusation as he ran towards those blue eyes that kept me still. But it was too late; the fire evaporated all so suddenly and Rico was on his last gurgle. What was left was the stench of burnt matter and dead bodies, hints of smoke lingering the area.

        "Nooooooooooo!"