Chapter 31 - Let Us Run

A 2000 word update. Woot woot! 
Special thanks to you three people who somehow read all my new chapters within a day. <3 you mysterious quiet peeps.

Again, thank you so very much for all your support. Every vote, comment and read counts, and it has made me so happy to have shared my story to the world. Enjoy and let me know what you think!

Annnddddd... -> Another one of Alex Goot's covers. :) Nothing better than relaxing inspiring music.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            The door clanked open again, and I snorted as I recognized his familiar face entering. Of course, he would be oh ‘so’ worried, I thought smugly. I was hungry, thirsty, and drained, but I would not let myself waver again. Not again. I need to get out of here, and return to Celtara and Conrad. Bring back the reassurance that my royal presence brings to my people.

            “Stay away from me,” I stood, warning him. But at the sight of his furrowed eyebrows and crystal blue eyes, even my strengthened resolve crumbled into pieces.

“Let’s move you to a better room,” he said softly, almost too kindly, as the door closed, letting him approach me without any prying eyes. That same voice, why can’t you still be the same person you once were?

“And what, so that you can keep a better eye on me? So that you can see how pathetic and powerless I am here?” I snapped back at him, hoping to stop my voice from cracking. There was only so much that I can handle in a day. So much emotions that I can feel, before the fear threatened to engulf me in darkness.

            “Hey… I’m sorry.” I could feel the tears threatening to flow out. No, Rosa, stay strong. I want to go home, to return to Conrad’s loving arms, away from this strange country. I want to feel safe, to feel protected and surrounded by familiar people.

“Get away,” I smacked him hard, feeling him wince at the contact. But instead, he came closer and pulled me close to his chest. “Get away from me!” I screamed, flailing my hands helplessly as the tears blurred my eyes. It was despicable, that I had not only allowed myself to be captured but also collapsed in fear at the thought of facing the Queen. She scared me. I just didn’t want to admit. I just didn’t want to feel the reeking hopelessness.

“Look, I’m sorry for what she said. But for the plan to work, I need to be under her control,” he whispered quietly, stroking my hair gently.

“What… plan?” I halted, pushing him back.  

Should I trust him, despite his faerie blood? Despite the past?

“I’m still Rico, Rosa. I’m still the same person. There is a reason why I had agreed to kidnap you. Remember our promise, many years ago before you turned into a Princess? That we’d run away together before you were engaged to Seymour? Well, I’m going to make it come true. With you here, I can make sure you will never get caught in the crossfire, and with time I will think of a way to end the war peacefully. My mother needs your royal blood to open the gates to Avalon, a parallel dimension of souls to revive my father, so she won’t ever kill you. I was relying on that to ensure that you’re safe here, but it turns out she harbors deeper hatred. She is so obsessed with the idea that it has driven her… mad, and so when the time arrives I need you to run with me, understand?” his blue eyes twinkled under the poor lighting, serious and intense.

            “I don’t understand, Lenn. Why are you betraying even your own mother, your own kin? All I know is that I have to return to Celtara, and thanks to your so-called scheme, I am now under her control. I cannot even protect my own mind from her – how do you expect me to run?” I cried, biting my lip as I tried to contain my sobs of fear. Never before have I actually felt this powerless, this stupefied against such a figure. I shook my head, pushing him away from me. I want to be alone. I want to return home.