Chapter 3

Rick was devastated with the news about Rosaline. It wasn't like they were friends, really, but they weren't enemies either. If he were being honest with himself, Rosaline's death scared him more than anything. She was a strong woman, one of the strongest they had, and if walkers were able to take her life, what would they do to someone like Hershel, or Beth? Was bringing a baby into a world that could kill even the strongest safe?

Rick slowly slid out of bed and slipped on some clothes and boots, being careful not to wake up Lori. He knew she needed as much sleep as she could get. Being pregnant had taken a lot from her, he knew that. Her pregnancy with Carl had been as well. But this one was much more complicated and Rick knew that her being pregnant was very dangerous. For both Lori and the baby.

Rick made his way outside. Two silhouettes sat atop the RV. If Rick recalled correctly they were Jordan, the boy who had accidentally kidnapped Rosaline, and the new girl that Daryl and Rosaline had found. She didn't socialize much, just kept to herself. Rick wasn't sure why but he had a feeling that it was something unpleasant, which is why he didn't press for information.

He climbed up the ladder on the back of the RV and approached the two who seemed to be talking in hushed tones. "I can take over for you guys," Rick told Jordan and the girl. They nodded and climbed down.

Rick just needed some time alone. He needed some time to think. He had to think of a better place for them to go. A passing herd could come by at any time and take out the entire camp. He couldn't bear to lose anyone else, and to be truthful, he knew that they couldn't afford to lose someone else anyway.

~~~

"This is all I could find," Michonne said, scaring Rosaline and making her jump out of her skin. Rosaline saw a sling and a big bottle of pills in the woman's hand. She sighed. A sling would help her arm but it wouldn't set it and if her arm heeled wrong, there would be other potential problems as well.

"Thanks," Rosaline said, taking the items from Michonne's outstretched hands.

"Those are pain pills. You'll have to et something before you take one but I'm sure we can find you something," Michonne said. Rosaline was a little taken aback. This was the most she had heard the mysterious woman speak.

"I'm going to go on a run and find us some food," Michonne said, turning on her heel to leave.

"I can go with you if you'd like," Rosaline offered.

Michonne stood silently for a moment as if she was pondering something and then spoke. "No offense, but you'd just slow me down." 

Rosaline offered a smile and a nod. "Good, that's what I was hoping you'd say."

Michonne nodded to Rosaline and left. Rosaline had a feeling that the woman that she had been so weary about just a little while before, wasn't so bad after all.

~~~

He found it easier than he thought it would be, giving up the drink. He had become the leader that the people around him needed him to be. He had even became better acquainted with the scientist, Milton.

He found it easier and easier every day to slip into normalcy again, and for that, he was thankful. He and the others were working on building a safe haven, a place they could live without fear. As of right now they had taken an entire block for themselves, and he knew it wouldn't be long before more of the small town of Woodbury was his.

He found the power that had been given to him somewhat exhilarating. He liked being in charge. The survivors looked to him for every solution and although that created a bit of pressure for him, it made him feel a little superior as well. For the first time in his life, he, Phillip Blake, wasn't the middle class, minimum wage earning average man that he was destined to be. No, he was something more, something that he had never dreamed could be possible. He was powerful.

Hello readers! I'm so sorry for the delay in update! School and life sorta caught up with me and I got a bit behind! But never fear, I am trying my best to get caught up and give you guys the chapters I know you've been waiting for!

A few announcements before I get to the usual authors note.

First, November is National Novel Writing Month. I wouldn't bother telling you this BUT there is some cool things that go along with it! At Nanowrimo.org, you can sign up to create a FREE account. After creating your account, you set a word count goal, and write all throughout the month of November to reach that goal. If you complete the goal and have it validated, you get a code for 5 free self published copies of your novel! Awesome, right?

If any of you have read my original story, The Runaways, that was the product of a very busy Nanowrimo last year! It's a lot of work but it's also a lot of fun.

(If you are under 18, there is a site for kids at ywp.nanowrimo.org. Unless you want to write the standard 50,000 words that adults do, I would suggest going there! The word count goals are flexible!)

Second, because I am participating in Nanowrimo, my updates may be even more delayed than they normally are. I will try to get some updates in but writing a novel in a month isn't easy, let alone writing a novel and updating another. :-)

And lastly, I know most of you are aware of my migraines. I recently went to a specialist and they prescribed a new medication to prevent them for me. However, the last medication I was on made me gain weight and spiked my blood pressure, and didn't really work anyway. So right now we're playing a waiting game and hoping that this medicine doesn't turn out like the last.

I'm sorry for the long authors not but let's get to the fun stuff!

Rosaline isn't getting the proper medical attention she needs; what do you see as the outcome for this? How will Rosaline's 'death' affect Rick and the rest of the group? I'm hoping that most of you have a very, very good hunch as to who the mysterious man is, and if not, you might want to reread because I dropped some obvious clues. :-)

I'm sorry the author's note was so long and that this was kinda a filler.

But, as always, don't forget to vote, comment, and fan!