A Cinderella Moment

Conner pinned the last medal onto his dark blue suit jacket. He looked at himself in the mirror, having a hard time recognizing his reflection. His hair was shiny from all the gel used to style it, and his suit, while very regal and princely-looking, felt stiff and uncomfortable. Sighing internally, he picked up the golden crown that sat on his dresser with the tips of his fingers and slowly placed it on his head. Now the picture of a perfect prince was complete.

Dexter put a hand on his shoulder from behind him. "You will thank me, Conner." Addressed prince turned his head away, not wanting for his father to see how angry he really was. "Not likely." He spun on his heel and strode out of his bedroom.
-----------
The Grand Ball was in full swing. People danced waltz after waltz. Dozens of tasty treats and hor d'ourves were consumed daintily. Gossip spread around the ballroom like wildfire. It truly was a splendid affair.

Helen, in the prettiest lavender ballgown, decorated with a baby blue sash over her shoulder and elbow-length ivory gloves, and all her brothers and sisters watched Conner in the middle of the dance floor, waltzing with Apple, who was wearing another gown, red as rubies and lined with gold and snow-white lace. Her pale blue eyes were sparkling with joy as she twirled with her new fiancé. Conner, on the other hand, was wishing with all his heart that it was M'gann in his arms instead.

All of the sudden, the room fell silent. Conner stopped his waltz with Apple and looked around. The ladies had stopped gossiping. The lords had stopped prodding. The couples had stopped dancing. No one spoke, their jaws fallen to their chests, their eyes as wide as quarters as they stared towards the grand stairwell. Conner turned his head to see what had rendered them speechless, and he felt his heart stop for a moment before it sped up to a mile a minute.

There, standing at the top of the stairs, was M'gann, in the most beautiful gown in all the land. It was as white as the first snow of winter that blanketed the earth, smooth and almost blinding, with the tiniest little ruffles at the bottom. It had a beaded bodice, plus an off-the-shoulder look, and a hoop skirt that fell over her legs. The whole dress shimmered under the lights of the chandelier.

A red sash was wrapped around her waist, with a big bow tied onto the small of her back. She had on snowy white gloves that reached mere centimeters from her elbows, and a diamond necklace with matching earrings. Her hair cascaded down her back in loose, open curls, with a golden tiara placed delicately at the top of her head. She had on ruby red lipstick, gold eyeshadow, black mascara, and the ever-so-lightest strokes of pink blush on her pale cheeks.

Murmurs and whispers rose up in the ballroom about who this beautiful young lady could be. Surely, she must be a princess from another land, or some other sort of royalty. Conner was able to tear his gaze away from her long enough to see the satisfied smiles that Dexter and Raven were giving him. The King winked one of his eyes at his son.

Conner smiled, looking back at M'gann. He took a step towards her, only to be pulled back by the hand. He looked to see Apple clinging onto his arm tightly. "Conner, what's going on?" Conner bit his lip. He knew what had to be done. "Apple, I'm sorry.", he said. "But I can't marry you." Her perfectly shaped eyebrows shot up. "What?"

He looked at her, blue eyes staring into blue. "Apple, you seem like a wonderful girl, and obviously very beautiful. I know you're going to make some man very happy one day. But that man isn't me. I'm in love with somebody else. It wouldn't be fair to either of us if we got married. You're a very sweet person, and you deserve more than an arrangement. I really am very sorry. I hope that we can still be friends."

Apple gaped at him as he pried himself loose from her grasp and strode away. Smiling like a fool, he hurried up the stairs towards M'gann, who was feeling overwhelmed by all the attention. She was pulled out of her thoughts by the feeling of another hand taking hers. She gasped as she turned her head just in time to see Conner raise her gloved fingers to his lips, gazing at her. "May I have this dance?"

At first, M'gann couldn't think straight. But it all became clear after a few minutes. "I'd love to." His eyes never leaving hers, he led her by the hand onto the center of the dance floor, ignoring the hundreds of eyes staring at them, and slipped his hand over her back, and hers on his shoulder. The orchestra immediately began playing, and all eyes were on them as they glided across the floor effortlessly. Anyone there with working eyes could see how much in love they were.

Helen, Jason and all the others couldn't suppress their bear grins. Said grins became even bigger when they saw all the members of the Team enter the ballroom, all dressed and suited up. They shoved through the crowds, who were too distracted by the Crown Prince and his new lady love to notice or care, and bounded over for hugs and hellos.

Helen saw La'gaan, in his human disguise, dragging his feet down the stairs behind the others, wearing a nice gray suit. She skipped over to him, gathering her skirts, to stand in front of him. She gave him a warm smile, only to be met by a cold glare before he stormed off to brood somewhere. But that didn't deter Helen. She was still determined to find the good in La'gaan. But that is a story for another day.

As Conner and M'gann twirled on the dance floor in each other's arms, their eyes glittering as they locked with one another's, it was clear to both of them, and to everyone gathered in the palace ballroom that starry moonlit night, that they were meant to live happily ever after together.

And that's the end! Sorry for all the crossovers. I love my cartoons!