Chapter 23

In the second before the blast reached Willow, she turned towards Bucky, and smiled. Lifting her other hand, she sent both Bucky and Steve flying backward, back a safe distance from the bomb. Then the fire slammed into her, and the entire building collapsed, parts of it toppling off the cliff. 

 Bucky started to sprint toward the cliff edge, but Steve tackled him, pinning him down. 

"No! Willow! Steve let me go! Please!" Bucky screamed.

 When he finally stopped struggling Steve let go of him, and Bucky's line of sight blurred with tears. He could hear Steve whispering something to him, "Bucky come on, we need to get on the jet. The ground is unstable."

 Steve grabbed Bucky and started to drag him backwards, Bucky didn't resist, allowing himself to be dragged into the jet. He couldn't think, it was like his mind had stopped working. He couldn't feel anything, he couldn't believe Willow was dead. She couldn't be dead. Not his Willow, not her.

 Sitting next to Steve on the jet, Bucky was still frozen with shock. It was just like Willow to jump right into danger, without thinking of the consequences. A small glimmer of hope remained inside Bucky, that she was still alive, that she'd survived the fall. But his common sense insisted that the building had collapsed on her, and there was no way Willow could have survived that.