Long Distances Make A Man Think

"Hey kiddos!" Ford and Stan smiled brightly as their two niblings appeared on the screen with equally bright smiles. It wasn't the best time to call, the kids were getting ready for school but, Stan was right, Ford was already feeling better.  

"Hey guys!" Dipper adjusted his hat and nudged his sister over a bit, giving him more of a view of the laptop screen. "Are you already out at sea?" He asked curiously.

"Sure are!" Stan answered with excitement and a wide grin plastered on his face.

"Are you going to catalog all the cool things you guys find, Grunkle Ford?" Dipper asked and shifted in his seat next to Mabel who was drawing or writing something.

"I was thinking about it, Fiddleford gave me three new journals so it's highly likely." Ford chuckled and showed his nephew one of the burgundy books. Mabel smiled brightly at the mentioning of Fiddleford.

"Oh yeah! I almost forgot to ask you! Sooo...how are you and McGucket doing?" Mabel smirked and wiggled her eyebrows, causing her great uncle to blush, he was really just hoping she wouldn't ask.

"Well, we're doing well I suppose. Better than before at least." Ford rubbed the back of his head awkwardly.

"Shoulda' seem em' smooching on the dock!" Stan nudged his brother with his left elbow.

"Stanley!" Ford growled at his twin with a deep red blush on his face all while Mabel was squealing in joy.

The rest of the video chat was normal, just catching up and discussing whether or not the kids were going to go to Gravity Falls for Thanksgiving seeing as Stan and Ford were heading back for that week.

~

Nothing very eventful that day. Just a lot of water. Everywhere. It was getting late and Ford had been drawing all day which was a bit different than usual but Stan just passed it off as them being out at sea and it was taking Ford some time to get used to it.

"Hey, Ford, think I'm gonna hit the hay." Stan patted his brothers shoulder and began to walk downstairs to were the bedroom was. "You gonna be fine by yourself?" Stan chuckled awaited his brothers annoyed response.

"Of course I will. Now go to bed so I can call Fiddleford." Ford commanded and Stan listened, though laughing at the fact his brother needed him to leave to call his boyfriend.

Ford turned the laptop on and called Fiddleford. His uncertain frown did a flip as soon as he saw Fiddlefords smiling, bearded face looking back at him

"How's my sailor doin' on his first day at sea?" Fiddleford smiled vibrantly. He was just sitting in bed with the bedside lamp on so the lighting was odd and almost orange, not that Ford cared, he was just happy to see his happy Fiddleford on the screen. 

"Great! We called the kids earlier and their parents agreed to let them come up there for Thanksgiving!" Ford felt incredibly happy as Fiddlefords smile some how managed to grow even brighter.

"Can't wait to see em'!" Fiddleford chuckled for a moment. "Wonder if they're gonna start callin' me 'Grunkle Fiddleford'?" That would be nice. "Oh an I've been meanin' ta' ask ya' somthin'." 

Ford gave an intrigued look at his partner. "What is it?" He asked with a hint of nervousness in his voice.

"Seein' as that Soos fella moved inta' the shack I was wonderin' if you needed a place to stay? There's plenty of room in this mansion." Fiddleford chuckled, truthfully he was incredibly lonely. Even after being alone for over thirty years he felt like being alone in this huge, dark and old mansion was a bit to much for him to handle. "Stanley could stay s'well...there's more than enough room." Fiddleford twiddled his thumbs nervously.

Ford thought for a moment but soon a large smile crept onto his face. "I'd love to, Fidds. Thank you so much for the offer." Ford couldn't help but chuckle at the sight of Fiddleford blushing.

Their conversation went on for hours until Fiddleford finally had to go to sleep, Ford decided he should as well, if he wanted to be up to researching tomorrow.

~

Ford made his way to his bed, still fully clothed and sighed as he laid back onto the bed, his mind racing with thoughts. "The world really has changed." He said quietly before rolling over.

He thought about so many things. He thought about the past, how Fiddleford used to be married, how he felt, how he acted, how he was. He thought about his family, the kids, Stanley, and Fiddleford. He smiled. He had a family for the first time in thirty years. He was happy and was proud. His brother was a hero and his lover was a rich inventor. He may not have fulfilled his aspirations but he couldn't be happier. He was mediocre and that was fine. That's what he deserves.

He made a deal with Bill. He trusted Bill but not Fiddleford. He brought upon the end of the world and his brother stopped it. He never did anything right did he? 

But he was fine with it.

He didn't exactly get much sleep that night.

{GAh sorry it took so long to update this! I've been working on a bunch of stuff and have had writers block so bleh. Sorry this chapter's also a bit short!}