17

----------------%%%----------------
BACK TO DALANIE'S POV
----------------%%%----------------

"Hey gurl, wazzup?" I greeted Kristen outside the school door on the huge front porch steps.

Instead of replying, she took a huge breath and gripped my arm hard. It felt so bad... like my blood wouldn't flow anymore.

"Kristen! Are you okay?" I started panicking. I was far more concerned for her than for myself. Kris pushed me back and I stumbled and fell down the steps.

Evil laughter came up behind her. "This is it, Dalanie McNeill. Your 'BFF' is my sidekick now!"

Oh no. I could recognise this voice everywhere, even in my dreams! Francesca Andrewes.

"What did you do to her?!" I screamed, earning the attention of the people around us.

Upon hearing this, Kristen ran to me, lifted a hand and slapped my face! Mortified, I held my face where she slapped it. Francesca smirked.

"Bye, Kristen," my voice audibly cracked. Tears rained down my face like never before. My heart was stabbed with an endless amount of daggers. There was a void in my life that could never be replaced. Not even the time when Zachary slept with Francesca hurt as bad.

This isn't real... This isn't happening!

As I got up and ran away, the words in my brain kept repeating and repeating non-stop.

Making a beeline for the restroom, I deftly avoided everyone in my way.

"What's wrong with her?"

"I think her best friend betrayed her."

"Yeah! I saw her best friend slap her and push her down the stairs! I think Francesca was behind all this."

"That must really hurt."

"But it's not our business, is it?"

Oh my gosh!! Even outside the ladies, people were gossiping. And... they didn't help.

Well that's human nature. I mean, I just might not help someone either. 'Cuz I don't know if I'm actually helping them or not.

Anyway, back to reality.

My mad dash into the bathroom stalls was forcefully stopped by someone. I looked up warily.

Isn't this girl... Kora Woods?!

I fists clenched and backed away angrily. My fear and hurt seemed to be numbed after seeing Kora. "You're on Francesca's side, right? Gonna deliver a blow? Well, I'm gonna be strong."

Kora gave a sad look and when she saw that I softened a little, she stepped forward bravely. "Don't worry. I'm not going to hurt you. I genuinely am sick of Francesca's nonsense."

"And how do I believe you?"

Kora ran her fingers through her hair and sighed. "How do I make you believe me?"

"Through your words and actions. You know, you come from an I-have-b*tchy-friends background, so thats definitely not gonna help you gain any ground. Better build it up from scratch," I wagged a finger, trying my best to act tough.

She nodded. "I will make sure you get Kristen and Za-," she paused. "At the very least, I'll make sure I help you get Kristen back."

I sighed. A pathetic tear managed to make it's way out of the corner of my eye. Kora smiled kindly and with understanding (at least, I could sense it) as she offered me a piece of tissue.

"Thank you," I wiped it away and sniffled. It was getting even harder to breathe.

The school bell rang, loud and clear. Without a word, Kora and I ran out of the restroom anxiously.