The Grass is Always Greener

• Dedicated kay My Creative Writing Class of 2103-14

 The back door of the kitchen opened up, spilling a warm golden light on the cold, dark cobblestone streets. A figure dressed in a worn black coat with ripped grey pants and a scarf wrapped around his neck emerged. He had two loaves of bread tucked under one arm and a sack of potatoes slung over his shoulder.  Amid the yelling of the chefs of the restaurant, the boy ran from the alley, just as the light faded from the closing of the door.  He ran to the main road, alongside a murky river, which absorbed the pale satin glow of the moon. Despite the cold weather, there was no snow on the ground, nor was there any patches of frozen water on the cobblestone.

“I suppose I’m lucky.” The boy whispered, as he walked along the deserted road. “No snow and ice means an easier winter for us.” He sighed, and his breath appeared in front of him for a brief moment.

He walked silently up to a two-story house and looked at it. It leaned slightly to one side and there were patches of haphazardly placed panels of wood where the roof collapsed a few times. A few of the windows were closed up with the bits of fabric and more wood. With a heavy sigh, he walked up to the French doors and pulled on one of the handles, pushing the door open and stepping inside. The dark interior showed a home of faded glory. The red carpet that led to a massive staircase was old and worn. The door that led to the kitchen had fallen from its hinges long ago. He pushed the door shut and walked over to the kitchen. He dropped the bread and potatoes on the island counter top and walked back to the staircase.

“I’m home!” He called and waited to hear the faint pattering of six pairs of feet as they scurried down the stairs.

“Bastian!” A young female called.

She was a cute girl, with waist-length dark brown hair and chocolate eyes. Her dress was long-sleeved and stopped at her boot-covered ankles. She wrapped her arms around the boy’s waist in a tight hug. “I missed you, Bastian…” She said.

He laughed. “Vittoria, I was only getting some bread and potatoes." He said, hugging her back. 

"That doesn't stop us from worrying." said another female voice. 

Bastian, as he was called, looked up at the stairs to see a blonde girl around his own age of seventeen with a face that showed not only kindness and love, but also desire. A desire that, despite her wishing, Bastian would not satisfy.

He smiled at her as she descended the stairs. Her skirt was flowing around her boots as it brushed the stairs and her shirt was a tad too tight, hugging her frame in a way slightly provocative.

"Annabelle." He said with a nod.

"Sebastian." She responded.

Four other children came down the stairs. "Sebby!" They yelled and all but tackled him to the ground. Sebastian wrapped his arms around the three boys, Cai, Julius and Felix and the girl, Willamina.
"We missed you, Sebby!" Felix said with a wide grin. He was a tan-skinned nine- year old with dark eyes and hair.

Sebastian laughed and let go of the children, all between the ages of six and twelve. "I was only gone for the day. You all act as though I've been gone for years!"

Annabelle smiled gently. "It certainly feels like it."

With a smile back, Sebastian nodded to the kitchen. "I brought back some fresh bread and potatoes. We can mix in some basil from the pot and have us a nice dinner."

Willamina clapped her hands together. She was a twelve-year-old with short caramel colored curly hair with hazel eyes. "I'll go get the basil! Come, Felix!" She said and the two rushed through the kitchen and into the fenced off backyard where they grew fruits, vegetables and herbs, and to the storage shed, where they kept all the food in the winter.