Sparked - Chapter 1

Brooklyn Sable goes through the trials of learning to trust others after a break-up when all she wants to do is the opposite. Friendship, love, and her mental stability is put to the test, especially when people from her past come knocking on her door. While in her last year of high school, she claims that she is as independent as it comes, but in getting to know the one person she tries to actively avoid, she begins to learn that maybe not everything is as she thought. However, change is all part of growing up, right? 

____________

Staring at the obscenity that was overtaking my rear view mirror from outside my car, I scoffed. My fingers wound themselves tighter around the steering wheel.

“Move, Nate,” I yelled. Even though the doors were locked and windows up, the tilting back of his head and his mouth open told me he'd heard.

“Stop laughing and get out of my way!” I said. This time after, I rolled down the window and stuck my head out so he could properly see the glare I had on. My eyes darted to the rear view mirror waiting to see Nathan Palmer take the few steps to the side to that I could back up out of my driveway and make it to school on time.

“Unlock the doors,” he said. A sly grin was on his face that I knew meant he wasn’t planning on budging as he put his hands down on my trunk.  I rolled my windows up so there was only a small crack, not wanting to take a chance with him jumping through to try to get in.

“And have my car spontaneously burst into flames the second you sit down?” I yelled.  The time on my dashboard displayed 7:47 A.M. If he didn't move I was going to be late.

“Stop being immature,” he argued.

“Don't think I won't back up over you!” I warned. The car was put in reverse and my foot eased off the break, sending the car backing up slowly.  The rear view mirror showed him starting to back up with worry embroidered on his face which rivaled the triumphant smile on my own.

Then the worse happened. My mom came out dressed in her plain blue jeans and large, white, button-up shirt that flowed behind her when she walked. She appeared almost angelic. The act I knew to follow was not something I would class as such. Though, I suppose it depended on what side of the car you were on.  

“Oh, look who it is, Brooklyn,” Nate said happily as he condescendingly used my full name and practically skipped over to my mother.

She caught my eyes with hers before I had a chance to drive away unnoticed. I watched with dread as Nate flashed that charming smile I'd known for years. Each second had me slouching lower in my seat.  My mom smiled back at the boy who lived a few doors down like he was an equally perfect angel. I sighed, unlocked the doors and put my head on the steering wheel. I knew how this was going to end and I’d face grounding with my mom in the picture now if I sped away without waiting. If only I had threatened backing up over him a minute earlier.

The car door opened, closed, and I heard a clicking of a seat belt before a content sigh escaped his lips.

“Well as fun as that was, let's say we not do that again.”

“Couldn't agree more. This will be the last time you're riding in my car,” I said with a sure nod. My words were sarcastic as I backed out of my driveway and began speeding away.

“You should really slow down,” he said.  His left hand began playing with the buttons on my radio.

“Stop touching that.” I smacked his hand away and glared at him. His blonde hair was tousled, sticking up in different directions and refusing to block the view of his blue eyes that shone playfully back at me, as if he was unaffected by my frustration.