Sparked - Chapter 5

I ignored Nate's calling and tried to get over to where I normally sat by ducking behind a large group of girls to hopefully avoid being spotted.

“Hey Brooke,” one of the girls said. I looked up to see Shay. We talked occasionally, but not very often. She was only slightly taller than I and a bit bulkier from years of soccer. Her hair was constantly in a pony tail and I don’t think I ever saw a day she didn’t have some athletic gear on. Overall, probably not the best cover I could have.

“Oh hey, Shay. How’ve you been?” I asked, walking with the group still to try to conceal myself.

“I’m pretty good, soccer practice is killing me. The coach – Hi Nate,” she said enthusiastically at the same time I felt an arm drape over my shoulder.

I was busted.

And enraged.

“Get off me, you slimy moron,” I hissed and wiggled out of his grasp. I watched Shay’s eyes dart between the two of us.

“Isn’t she cute?” Nate asked Shay and I felt the need to puke. Shay, on the other hand started giggling.

“Sorry to interrupt you girls, but I would really love to steal Brooke for lunch…” he trailed and grabbed my wrist just as I started to make a break for it.

Shay laughed again at him causing me to assume she’s taken too many soccer balls to the head.

“Sure,” she said to Nate as he started pulling me away. “We should hang out more, Brooke,” she added I was out of earshot.

I kept trying to free myself or at least plant my feet on the ground so he couldn’t continue but honestly, I was a measly bit of weight compared to his strength. I stopped moving my legs and he looked at me with an annoyed expression before using both hands to guide me. My sneakers squeaked against the tile.

“Come…on,” he grunted as he pulled. I wouldn’t be surprised if there were skid marks all the way to his table.

“You’re eating with us today,” Nate stated. I gave him with a blank expression and looked down at my wrist where he was still gripping.

“Okay but if you stop touching me,” I tried to bargain. Nate frowned.

“You don’t like when I touch you?” he attempted to not smirk but failed and right as I raised my hand to hit him, he raised both of his own up in protest.

“Alright, deal. Now, sit,” he said.

I didn’t wait a second before turning on my heel, planning to run away. Where was Mason? However, I felt an arm around my waist and I was being forced into a chair. Nate sat next to me with a large grin on his face; I tried to mentally set him on fire.

“Let go,” I spoke rather calmly considering the situation, in regards to the arm still around my waist.

“And not get to hold you? No way,” His eyes glinted with amusement, “Besides, can’t have you running away.”

I couldn’t think properly. I’m pretty sure the current level of anger that I was experiencing was shutting down my basic motor skills.

“Arm off. Now,” I spat, managing at least those words.

Laughter started around me and for the first time, I looked at the rest of the table. There were a few other girls, but for the most part just guys and about 60% of those were exes I had broken up with.

Awkward.

“So Sparky, go out with me?” Nate asked out of nowhere with that idiotic grin still plastered onto his face. Who taught him how to smile? I started at him incredulously. Had I heard that correctly? Was he just trying to make my day miserable? What happened to the mutual “Do not speak to each other” rule? Was it a “see how pissed I can get Brooke today” game that he wanted to show off to his friends?