Chapter 30 - Little Steps Closer

If I ever offer to plan your wedding or sweet sixteen or something, do yourself a favor and run away screaming.― Gwen Hayes

Chapter 30 - Little Steps Closer

Addy's POV:

"Get up. Get off my brother and get yourself ready. I'm not going to be late because of you." Helen yells at me through the door. I groan and roll deeper into Edward's arms.

He places his lips on my forehead. I close my eyes, letting the scenes of last night run through my head. The serenity of this moment is short lived as Helen pounds on my bedroom door and yells at me, again. I can hear Joel consoling her to no avail.

"This is going to be my first time to see you look like a bride, and I don't want to be late." She yells, making Edward chuckle, which turns into a much bigger laugh.

"Sis, she's the bride. You won't be late if you're with her." He yells back at my locked door.

"Yeah, funny. We have appointments. Our mom's will be waiting for us. She needs to get a move on."

I sit up and the sheet that was once wrapped around me falls, and I see Edward's eyes admire my newly exposed skin. Heat rises in me as I watch him take me in - from the puddled sheet, to my bare breasts, to the line of my neck, to my lips, and finally to my eyes. "You are absolutely the most beautiful creature I've ever seen." He leans up and kisses my shoulder. "And if you keep looking at me like that, we will not leave your bed today, and Helen will have both of our heads on a platter."

Just before I leave with Helen, Joel pulls me aside. "Have fun. Don't let Helen talk you into something you don't love. Remember, stark white isn't your friend." He offers to let me send picture texts if I need a male opinion. "I'm spending the day with Elliot. Don't worry, Edward won't see any of the pictures, ok?"

---

We have two appointments today. The first is in West Little Rock that offers full wedding services...a one-stop shop. Helen chirps hello to our mothers as she flitters into the store. From the outside the shop is non-distinct, but inside it's a perfect balance between contemporary furnishings and modern charm.

Gail, our consultant, greets us and begins asking about what kind of dress I would like. She's much younger than my mom, but not as laid back. But what she truly is, is calm. I guess you would have to be to keep some brides and their families from freaking out. I think I may be one of those brides. It takes precisely three questions and I begin to feel like a deer caught in headlights. What do I do?

"I can see you haven't had a lot of time to think of these things. Why don't I get your measurements and start pull examples of different styles and we can go from there?" Gail's voice is calm and not at all condescending. She quickly switches gears, checks my measurements and leaves to gather samples.

Remembering Joel's words, I let Gail know that I would not be wearing true white or diamond white; both colors would make my skin look sickly. While she is finding dresses to begin with, Helen walks over to the bridesmaid dresses and begins to look for colors and styles. She has agreed to be my maid-of-honor, but I haven't chosen colors or really anything at all.

"Ok, don't look at the style. Look at the color." Helen says as she holds five different dresses. "Think about your pictures. What color would you like to see? What would photograph the best?" Black: easily dismissed as too formal for my wedding. Red: Helen's favorite color but tends to look formal. Royal blue: another formal color, but not as intimidating. Jade green: Edward's favorite. Coral: beautiful, bright and my favorite, but not everyone can wear that color.