chapter one.

CHAPTER ONE —
( ladies and gentlemen, here is Howard Stark! )

CHAPTER ONE — ( ladies and gentlemen, here is Howard Stark! )

────────────────

Evelyn Parrish glanced up at the little mirror that hung on the wall side stage. She quickly placed her hands into her hair, puffing it up a little more and then grabbed the red lipstick that was sitting in her pocket and popped the cap open, quickly adding another layer of red lipstick onto her already bright red lips.

"Evie, you know you look beautiful," a voice called out to her as he made his way over to the woman. "Nothing is going to change that."

Howard Stark stood beside his best friend, Evelyn Parrish. The two had been together since they were young, and nothing was ever going to change that.

"Thank you, Howie," Evelyn sighed as she glanced back at herself. "But you know how I feel when I'm around those showgirls."

Howard wrapped his arm around Evelyn's shoulders and grinned at her reflection in the mirror. It was no secret that Evelyn Parrish and Howard Stark were in love with each other, and had been since they were teenagers. They always stuck by each other's sides when they were teenagers and Howard didn't leave Evelyn's side as he became famous and every woman in America seemed to want a piece of him. Everyone seemed to know they were in love except the two of them.

"You look great." Howard kissed Evelyn's cheek and grabbed onto her hand. "Come on, you're on soon."

The two walked to the curtain side stage, hand in hand, waiting for the crew to give Evelyn the go. Howard rubbed soothing circles around the back of Evelyn's hand, knowing how to quickly calm her down when a blonde lady walked up to them. "You're on," she told Evelyn.

Evelyn reluctantly let go of Howard's hand and took a deep breath. They looked at each other and held their thumbs up with a grin. "See you soon!" Evelyn chirped before strutting her way onto the stage.

Evelyn wasn't nervous to be standing on a stage in front of over a thousand people. She has, after all, done that a hundred times beforehand. It was just Howard that she got nervous around, and she hated the feeling. People cheered as Evelyn walked on, some even giving her cat calls. She smiled and waved at all of them politely as one of the showgirls forcefully gave her the microphone, sending a rather dirty look her way.

Evelyn shrugged off her jealousy, looked out towards the big crowd and smiled. "Welcome everyone!" People cheered. "Now, I know why you are all here tonight. To see the wonderful and brilliant Howard Stark." A whole bunch of girls screamed. "And, of course, what new things he and I have made for the future. So, ladies and gentlemen, here is Howard Stark!"

The showgirls beside Evelyn gestured towards Howard as he made his way onto the stage, a top hat upon his head now. The showgirl who handed the microphone to Evelyn walked up to Howard, took his top hat off, and Howard planted a kiss on her lips. Jealously tingled Evelyn's spine as she watched the girl grin and waltz over towards the car, shooting her a satisfied smirk. Another girl gave Howard the microphone and he walked up to Evelyn. He wrapped his arm around her waist and cheekily leaned in to kiss her, but Evelyn, wanting to look professional, placed her hand on his mouth and pushed him away with a disgusted look on her face. If she and Howard were ever going to kiss, Evelyn would want the moment to be romantic and not in front of thousands of people.

"Who's the gal?" Steve Rogers asked his best friend, Bucky Barnes.

"That there is Evelyn Parrish. Been the best frien' of Howard Stark her whole life, but everyone thinks they're secretly dating. Super intelligent, super fit. She's in the army. An' she's one hell of a catch," Bucky grinned at Steve.

There was something about Evelyn that captured Steve's attention. He knew that she was beautiful, everybody could see that, but something was different about her. Something drew him in as he watched her interact with the rude showgirls on the stage, the massive smile on her face never leaving as if the rude comments and interactions weren't hurting her on the inside.

"Ladies and gentlemen, what if I told you that in just a few short years, your automobile won't even have to touch the ground at all," Howard announced and the crowd gasped. The showgirls pulled the tyres off of the red car and moved them to the side of the stage. "Yes. Thanks, Mandy."

"With Stark robotic reversion technology, you'll be able to do just that," Evelyn told the crowd. Howard flicked a button on his machine and the red car made a noise before hovering a couple of feet above the air. Evelyn raised her eyebrows, surprised that it worked as the audience let out a series of cheers. The two had tried to get it to work while they were making it, but it only ever worked once so they were all fingers crossed for the show. With that being said, the car let out a screeching noise before falling back onto the stage.

"I did say a few years, didn't I?" Howard chuckled into the microphone. He looked awkwardly around and chuckled a few more times.

"Genius," Evelyn playfully rolled her eyes at Howard and he nudged her. In the morning, Evelyn was set to head to Camp Lehigh in New Jersey to assist Docter Erskine with deciding the right suitor for his Super Soldier serum, and they both knew they had to choose someone respectable and kind. So, she was eager for the next day where she was going to be shown a tad bit more respect and to see the participants for the tryouts and decide who was going to change the war for America.

AUTHORS NOTE

AUTHORS NOTE

LETS GO!!!! 🕺🏻