Chapter 16: Value

Chapter 16: Value

It was my hearing that came to me first. The sound of a waterfall, leaves rustling in the wind, then a fight - no, battle. I felt like I could hear the whole world. Why are my senses so strong? Am I dead? I can't be dead.

Touch came afterwards. I was wrapped in something warm... But I could still feel the soil underneath my feet. Where were those chains of silver? The could touch of the silver burning though my skin was gone. They were off my wrists!

I caught a scent of fresh blood near me. I wasn't bleeding was I? Stupid star-iron. Whoever was bleeding is ought to die soon.

Okay, Shayla, calm down. Breathe... Pick up the pieces. You're outside. What do you hear... you hear a battle. WAIT. A battle!?

My eyes immediately shot open, and I gasped in surprise to see Chase's face greeting me. Like, right above my face. He held me in his arms, and my weak body lay curled in his embrace. What the hell was I doing in that douche's arms!?

I took in his appearance, which had changed much since the last time I saw him. He had bags under his tired eyes, he hadn't shaved in weeks, his hair was longer and messier than before. He looked so... so... empty.

"Chase?" I gasped. I squinted, gahd, was the sun trying to blind me?

"Shayla? Shayla! Oh thank you spirits, that you so much, you're back," he whispered, pulling me cloaser into him, as if once I moved, I'd be gone. His chin rested on the top of my head. I wanted to leave. Being in his arms, felt so wrong. But mate or not, the need to be with him was unmistakable.

Need to move.

Need to fight.

Move.

Slowly moving my arms, I tried to struggle from his embrace, "Let me go Chase, I need to fight! Let me go!" I thrashed around. In surprise, he let me go. Once I stood up, I saw the treacherous red monster spilling all over the grass. The blood I smelled. He was going to die! He can't die, oh my gosh.

"How the hell did you get that cut?" I immediately crouched down inspecting the large cut as he winced, showing me his leg.

"Rebecca, she has fucking sharp claws, that bitch," he snarled. Without thinking, I ripped off my shirt (thank goodness I was wearing a tank top underneath) and wrapped it around his leg. Fighting the urge to grimace as I touched the warm blood, I quickly tightened it and washed my hand in the lake.

"We need to get you to the healers, if the bleeding doesn't stop at this rate, you'll be dead in an hour," I urgently said, avoiding his gaze that burned into my eyes.

"Look, I'm sorry I haven't been a good mate but I promise-"

"We have a battle to attend. Shut up and get on my back," I cut him off as I shifted into my white wolf. My wolf yelped in joy to finally shift after the torturous sitting in that dusty, tiny cell. I laid down and let him climb on. The pleasure my wolf felt was immense - I won't even get started on it.

"Contact the pack, and wear this blue ribbon," he leans forward to tie it on my right paw, "it identifies you as an ally and of a high rank, only Alphas and Lunas wear it. Others wear a yellow one. I grunted in response as I mind-linked my pack.

"This is your Luna, Shayla. I'm bringing Alpha Chase to the healers; he is losing much blood."

I ran towards the battle zone, Chase clutching tightly to my fur. Not once did my wolf complain about the red dye that covered her snow white fur.

Bring Chase to safety.

I can't lose him.

Not again.

Bring Chase to safety.

I kept repeating it in my head, knowing my pack would fall apart without it's Alpha. Pack comes first. Not feelings that tear you apart and leave you weak on the cold floor.

The war zone was a wreck. Bodies lay invisible to the fight and blood became a thickening blanket for grass. But the smell of death was unmistakable.

Where was my dagger when I needed it?

Bring Chase to safety.

Now or his death. I lunged into the battle, and I felt the members of my pack gleam with newfound hope at the sight of my wolf.

"We can win this one!" I mind-linked them. All of them needed hope. I guess I only caught a strand of it.

"Shayla, let me down, I'll heal faster in wolf form," Chase said. Without even giving me a chance to reply, he leaped off my back behind me and shifted into his might black wolf. Gahd, I could've carried him! Sheesh!

The bleeding in his leg was slowing down. That's a good sign.

I leaped onto a rogue, growling furiously at him as I tackled him on the ground. Then I sunk my jaws into his neck. Well, that's one down.

Chase.

Where is he!? I turned around, frantically looking for him, until someone shouted my name. "Shayla!"

Time seemed to slow down as I turned around, seeing the star-iron bullet head straight for me. I couldn't will my feet to move. They were stuck to the ground in shock.

"Shayla!" Chase shouted again. He shifted back into wolf form and time resumed again. The bullet flew high-speed. Move. MOVE! I yelled to myself. However, I couldn't budge. Just before the bullet could dig itself into me, a black wolf pushed me away and took the bullet that lodged deeply inside him. Immediately, the werewolf shifted into a human, bleeding rapidly.

"Chase?" I squeaked. No, it couldn't be. I ran to him feeling the tears blur my vision, not even caring that I was in the middle of a fucking bloodbath. "Chase!"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I gave you all another cliffhanger!!! :D

Yay! Shayla's alive!! But...

What do you think is going to happen to Chase!? :OComment what you think, below!

I apoligize for the shortness of this chapter... =.=" But at least it's up! I have a week off of school next week so I'll try my best to update! :D Need to submit this into the Watty Awards!!!

Thank you soo much for all your constant support, I couldn't have reached this far without you guys! (Almost 10K reads and 300 votes!?!? Givin y'all endless hugs and kisses <3)

I'll be doing one confession every chapter, since the story is coming to a close end :(

Confession 1: I'm actually basing Shayla's clothing style into somewhat like mine :D I like wearing dark colors (dark navy blue or grey t-shirts from Abercrombie and Fitch) jeans or black jeans, and boots! (I only have one pair of boots, so I guess I just want Shayla's wardrobe! :D)

Don't forget to: Vote and Comment!