Part 7

Suddenly just as abruptly as they had gone off the lights came back on, however my relief was short lived because along with the lights came the phone which began to ring. A murderous glint in his eye that actually made me wonder if he should really have a knife Kevin crossed over to the phone and picked it up.

“What?!” he spat.

“Kevin Andrew Willows!” I heard my Mother shout from the other end.

Standing behind Kevin I listened as he related the events of the night to our Mother, when he was finished she asked to talk to me and I repeated Kevin’s conversation more or less verbatim, she then asked me what he had set the last time he had called.

I licked my lips nervously, I didn’t want to say it didn’t want those nightmare inducing words to slip off of my tongue.

“Come on honey,” she pleaded.

I took a deep breath and looked over at Kevin not wanting to repeat the horrific description of just what Sam wanted.

“He said he wants to kill me and hang me up on his wall like a deer and take a bath in my blood.” I left out the naked part because repeating the phrase had been awkward enough.

Mom then asked to speak to Kevin again and I sank down to the ground mentally drained. A few minutes later I heard the phone hang up and Kevin knelt down next to me. I waited for him to say something, however he didn’t, instead he wrapped his arms around me. We sat like this in silence for several minutes before Coco who truthfully I had completely forgotten about came trotting over to us.

I reached out a hand to pet her, however she walked passed me and swiped her paw against the glass door, a whine escaping from her smiling, pit-bull mouth.

“No,” I said quietly.

She whined again and cocked her head to the side. I imagined myself in her position, desperately having to go to the  bathroom and denied the privilege but no way was I going outside.

After a few more minutes of her crying, Mr. Animal lover rose to his feet, I mean I knew it was borderline cruel not letting her go to the bathroom but I was perfectly willing to except her taking a large number two on the white carpeting rather than go out there however Mr. Vegan no leather had other ideas.

“What are you doing?” I demanded.

“She has to go out,” he replied.

“Are you crazy?”

“Katy look at her she has to go.”

He crossed over to the door and placed his fingertips on the lock.

“Kevin don’t,” I whimpered.

“Katy he hasn’t called in a will maybe he finally gave up or got scared when we started to call the cops.”

Hooking Coco’s leach around her caller he slid on the pair of community boots that stood by the door for whoever took Coco out in the snow. I looked out at the fence wishing boards hadn’t blown down in the wind the night before and we could just let her out to relieve herself, then let her back in.

“If you’re going out I’m going with you,” I said quietly.

Kevin shook his head, “Just wait by the door, I won’t even leave the patio.”

And then before I could argue he picked up the knife off of the table, slid the door open and slipped outside. I quickly crossed over to the door and watched him. His free hand shoved in his pocket he shuffled to the edge of the patio while Coco trotted through the snow, her nose quivering looking for a spot.

The farther out they walked the harder it was to see them. As I squinted through the darkness I saw Kevin stoop and pick up a large rock. Suddenly something moved to my right. Pressing my forehead against the glass I struggled to see and was just able to make out my brother, the retractable leash clutched in his right hand as he pulled gently pulling Coco towards the house.

My heart stopped if that was Kevin then who had picked up the rock. Turning I scanned the snow landscape but saw no one. Suddenly there was a tap on the glass jumping I turned and almost cried in relief when I saw that it was only Kevin. Throwing open the door I took Coco from him, and then just as he started in behind her I saw him, standing behind Kevin the rock held over his head.