Chapter 11

"Wake up Tay. Time to feed the horses," Serenity says.

I reluctantly get out of bed, and slip on a pair of jeans and a t shirt. I brush out my hair, and pull it into a side fishtail braid. Then I up on my adorable new cowboy boots- they are black and they have golden designs on then.

"Okay ready," I say, smiling.

We head out of the cottage, and toward Corrine's for breakfast.

"Are you sure she won't mind me mooching off of her?" I ask.

"Trust me, Corrine does not care. She can be crazy and intimidating at times, but she is really a great person," Serenity assures me, twirling her chocolate locks.

We quietly enter the house, in case she's asleep. I follow Serenity into the kitchen, and she rummages through the cabinets.

"Is this okay with you," she asks, reaching an energy bar out towards me. It's peanut butter and chocolate flavored- yum.

"Yeah, thanks," I reply, taking it from her outstretched hand.

She grabs one for herself, and takes two water bottles from the fridge. Then we leave the house and head over to the barn.

-----
---
-----

I'm finally getting into the swing of things (even though it's only my third day here) and the morning chores are done nearly twice as fast as yesterday. We don't turn out all of the horses because we do have some business today.

Serenity is looking at the schedule written up on the white board, and she curses under her breath.

"Tay, I know you're new and everything, but I accidentally scheduled a trail ride at the same time I have a lesson. Do you mind taking the lesson? It will be easy, I promise. Her name's Matilda, but she likes to be called Tilly. She's only 6 years old, and right now I'm trying to teach her galloping, she can already walk, trot, and canter. Please please please, I'll owe you big time," Serenity begs.

"No problem," I laugh.

"Thanks, I owe you one. Make sure to put her on Big Sam, he's really well gaited and very docile. The lesson starts at 12:30, and it's just now 10. You have some time," she says.

"Ok. I think I'm going to go give Ezhno some TLC," I reply.

She gives me a short nod, and spin on my heels, walking towards my boy.

He whinnies excitedly when he catches sight of me. I hug his head, and then open his stall.

I stroke his mane, and realize it's tangled. I rush to the tack room, and grab a mane and tail brush, and multiple rubber bands.

For the next hour or so, I braid his mane and tail, so that he looks ready to show, although I'd never show him, being that he's stolen and all.

I jump up on his back, and dig my heels into his side. We canter out of the barn (which is totally unsafe), and head towards the jumping arena.

I know for a fact Ezhno can jump, as he's proven to me time and time again. I just wonder how he'd do on an actual course.

I try to slow him down so that I can dismount and open the gate, but he ignores me. I feel his body tense up as we reach the fence, which must be at least four feet.

I hang on for dear life as he flies over the fence.

He lands perfectly- it was a show quality jump.

"You crazy horse," I grumble. But I'm not really mad, I could never be mad at my boy. I stroke his mane as he trots proudly around the ring.

I take him over a few small jumps, and he has no trouble with them. I have to admire how perfectly gaited he is, and how amazing he jumps. Me on the other hand, I'm sure I look like a mess. But I don't care, no one can see me.

"Wow, that sure is some horse," a familiar voice says, causing my blood to boil.

I halt Ezhno and fix my gaze on Chloe.

"Thanks," I respond through clenched teeth.

"I still would love to try riding him. Please just over one jump," she pleads.

"I don't know. I'm worried he might buck with another rider," I reply, trying to feign concern. In all actuality, I just don't want a plastic Barbie like her on my boy.

"If you can handle him, I'm sure I won't have a problem with him," she snorts.

"What is that supposed to mean," I reply in disgust.

"Well, I've been showing my whole life, and I always place. You on the other hand, ride like a beginner," she laughs, shrugging her shoulders.

I want so badly to say, "Yeah you always place, but on horses who are so scared of you that they do exactly what you want. But there's no bond there. And I am a better rider than you will ever be, because I ride freely, and on a horse who I've put blood, sweat, and tears into. You are, and always will be a fake, plastic Barbie, equestrian edition, who has everything handed to her by her rich Daddy and never had to work for a single thing in her life."

But instead, I smile sweetly, and reply, "You're probably right. But I don't want to risk you falling off and hurting yourself. I mean, show season is just around the corner, and I'd hate my horse to be the reason you couldn't compete."

She rolls her eyes, and stops of. I smirk, but she doesn't see.

When she's out of sight, I get off of Ezhno, open the gate, and lead him back towards his stall. He reluctantly walks in, and I close up his stall. I wish I had a billion locks to put on it- with Barb- Chloe in the barn, I feel like it's not safe.

"Oh great, there you are," Serenity says. "This is Tilly."

I look behind me and say Serenity standing next to a small, adorable blonde girl. She looks up at me with her sweet blue eyes, and gives me a toothy grin.

"Hi Tilly, I'm Taylor. I guess I'll be teaching your lesson today," I say, crouching down to her level.

"Tilly rides English, and remember to put her up on Big Sam, okay," Serenity informs me. I nod, and Serenity leaves the two of us alone.

Tilly stares at me awkwardly, and then looks at Ezhno.

"Is he yours," she asks in wonder.

"Yup. You can pet him if you like," I reply.

She extends her hand, but she can't reach him. Ezhno surprises me by closing the distance between then so that she can pet him easily.

He blows air onto her face, causing her to giggle uncontrollably.

"Can I ride him," she asks with big, puppy dog eyes. I don't know- he seems to like her, but I still worry about how he'd react to another person riding him.

"Not for your lesson, but if you're really good, I'll tack him up for you and let you ride him around the ring a few times," I say.

She smiles up at me, and then we go to tack up Big Sam, a massive Clydesdale gelding.

A/N I almost didn't update tonight, but then I felt bad. Bleh, exam week sucks. I'm technically sick, and have been all week. I should have been staying home, but I couldn't because of exams. Anyways, I hope you enjoyed the chapter. I wanted to make it longer, but I should go to bed because I have three really important exams tomorrow.

Goodnight my lovelies.