Chapter 5

I had just gotten out of the bathroom when she called. Since it was a Saturday and I didn't have plans for the day, I took my sweet time in the tub, relaxing in the pristine white I'd been able to maintain by constant cleaning, and the delicate pink flowers painted on my walls. I was checking my phone, which notified me about four missed calls, when a call came in from the same unknown number. Thinking it was a work thing, I answered it after one ring.

"Hello?" I said.

No one answered, but I could definitely hear music in the background.

"Hello? I'm hanging up now," I said, somewhat annoyed. I was just about to end the call but I heard a voice.

"Wait! Adria, it's me. Lexie." She sounded so tentative. "I called you because...well, it's almost Christmas, and I want to buy gifts for the Buenavista, I mean, my family," she continued.

My only response was an "Uh, yeah...?"

I heard her take a deep breath. "I was wondering if you could accompany me to shop for them since you know them so well. I'm sure you already noticed that my gifts for them have so far been a bust. But only if you're not busy," she quickly said.

I was so startled, I was unable to respond.

"I know this is so awkward, but I thought that after that night in my apartment we're at least civil, you know? But I'll understand if you don't want to talk to me—"

Before she could say another word, I cut in. "Sure."

I don't know who was more startled between us, but her enthusiastic response to my assent made me feel better about my decision.

— OoOoOoO —

We agreed to meet in Starbucks at a nearby mall, at one o'clock. I didn't want to get there before her so I hid from view until I saw her enter the coffee shop. God, I hope nobody saw me. After five minutes of wondering if I should really meet her there, I mustered up the courage when I saw her sitting by the left glass wall, her back rigid and straight, looking so worried. This was an expression I thought I would never see in someone so poised and confident.

Before I could change my mind, I entered Starbucks quickly and approached her.

"Hey." I nodded when I sat on the chair beside her.

Her tight lips immediately turned up into a dazzling smile and she leaned as if to kiss my cheek. I smiled politely at her, and she leaned back, taking my cue.

"Thank you. I know this is really weird. I'm weirded out myself but I just really want to make a good impression on them. I waited so long to be part of the family!"

Her honest confession caught me off-guard. I tried to hide it by faking a cough. Suddenly, a thought occurred to me. "How did you get my number?"

She straightened her clothes and looked at me sheepishly. "I asked John. He knows about this." She must have seen my look because she rushed to compensate for something. "He doesn't think it's a good idea but I promised him I'll be on my best behavior. Besides, he pitied me after he saw my gifts and my siblings' reactions to them," she finished with a pout.

I smiled and gave her a quick once-over. She had this flowery silk sundress that complemented her skin and gold sandals, while I was in a plain cotton dress that neither hid nor accentuated my curves, plus my trusty flip-flops. In that instant, I wanted to know what made her tick, and what made Tom cheat on me. What did Lexie have that I didn't? Somehow, I couldn't believe it was just for sex, since Tom loved me. I knew he did.