Chapter 9

Later that night, right before ten p.m., I managed to drag Lexie and Karyl away from the party to walk toward the grotto. I said we should walk to sober up a little, and thankfully, they both agreed. We didn't have our phones with us, so I crossed my fingers in hopes that we were right on time.

When we reached the grotto, I didn't see John, so I insisted we sit on the sand across it. Karyl and I had to restrain Lexie from crossing the dark waters to get to the statue. I was too nervous to say anything else, and Karyl was too absorbed in thought. Lexie was feeling happy from the alcohol and talked loudly about the men she had been dancing with and how happy she was that we brought her to Boracay. I felt glad that she was finally able to let loose while we were on vacation.

We were so distracted by Lexie's loud chatter that we didn't hear him until he was hugging Karyl from behind. One moment we were laughing from something Lexie said, the next moment Karyl was kicking someone. Then—

"John! What the hell are you doing here?! I thought you were a rapist!"

Lexie helped John to his feet as he doubled over on the sand, clutching his groin, tears streaming down his face. I prayed that his engagement ring was somewhere secure and didn't fall out of his pocket, or hand.

I tried my best not to laugh as Karyl finally calmed down and hugged him, while berating him for scaring her like that. Then she was too busy making out with John to notice me discreetly pick up the video camera that John brought. I handed it over to Lexie, who was assigned to take the video.

When they finally came up for air, with Karyl standing up and John getting down to kneel, my eyes instantly welled up with tears. This was it.

Karyl's eyes suddenly went huge, and John started speaking. I tried to control my tears so that I wouldn't distract them with my sobs. Plus, I had to memorize what John was saying because I knew Karyl wouldn't remember them after seeing the sparkly emerald ring that he produced.

"Karyl, you're crazy, wild, domineering, and loud. I'm sedate, quiet, and kind of your opposite. And my life was so boring until I met you. My life has never been so vibrant, and I have never been happier. You're perfect for me, and—"

Did I just hear John choke back a sob? That brought on even more silent tears from me.

"Please, marry me. I will never want to find anyone else." He just stared at Karyl, who was sobbing like crazy.

We were all tense as Karyl cried for the next few minutes. It was so unlike her, and John was getting more worried by the second.

"Love?" he asked tentatively. His hand was actually shaking.

Lexie put down the video camera and looked at me, worried. I took a step toward Karyl when she suddenly jumped and hugged John, knocking him down on to the sand. "Baby, I thought you'd never ask! YES! YES! YES!"

I tried not to notice that her screams sounded like she was reaching orgasm. A few passersby were also startled and stared until they saw John trying to put the ring on Karyl's shaking finger. I was so happy for Karyl.

When she first told me she was dating John Demetrio, I was so shocked, I actually said, "Are you sure?" She just smiled at me and said they were perfect together. I had my doubts. I mean, John was right, they really were each other's opposites. But looking at them, with their faces glowing with joy, I realized Karyl was right—they were meant to be.

They stood up and walked away, with John leading Karyl toward the hotel's campsite, where their tent was already set up. Lexie turned off the video camera and smiled at me, her eyes glistening.