Chapter One

My phone buzzed in my hand as I walked out of my classroom, heading toward my professor's office two floors up. Although I was twenty-five years old, I was still in school. Never taking a break from school, I was proudly in my final year of law school and I was also getting my Masters in psychology.

Grinning at the screen, I picked it up. "Hey, Sash." I greeted my best friend, Sasha Jacobs. "What's up?"

"Hey, girl." Sasha's somewhat throaty voice sounded through the receiver. "You busy?" She asked, her voice seeming out of place on a phone. It would have been better suited as the voice reading erotica for an audiobook.

"Um, I'm headed to my professor's office to get approval on the month's lesson plan, but I can spare about five minutes." I grimaced, though she couldn't see me.

To help pay my tuition, I was student teaching for undergraduate psychology. So I needed to make sure I made my meeting on time to get my approvals. It was already Friday, so I couldn't be late or my professor would be gone.

Just as I spoke to Sasha I passed a large window, that reflected the hall, and sighed. I had been going so much since I had woken up that morning that I didn't even have time to check my appearance. I groaned, as I ducked into the nearest bathroom for a better mirror, then switched the phone to my headphones so my hands would be free.

"That'll have to do for now." She sighed. "So, guess who's coming home." She started.

"Who?" I asked absently as I pulled out a tiny comb, that I always kept in my bag, and began combing down my dark brown hair.

"Troy." Sasha answered. I heard a blow dryer in the background, letting me know she was at work.

Despite Sasha coming from a well-off family, she had decided that she had not wanted a "cushy" job, in her own words. Both of her parents, Fredrick and Mary, were successful doctors but Sasha hadn't wanted that fact to allow her to slack off. After getting her Masters in event planning, she had decided that she wanted to be a hairstylist and had worked her butt off to now have her very own shop. It was shocking to see what little mama could do when she had a goal. I think that's why we were such good friends, even though we were so different in other places.

On top of our different backgrounds, her being raised by richer parents and me being raised more modestly, she was raised by both parents and I was raised by only my father after my mother passed away when I was a baby. Sasha was a petite, light-skinned, woman with hazel eyes and short, pixie-cut hair that she colored often. Whereas, I was a curvier woman with dark brown eyes, milk-chocolate skin, and dark hair down to the middle of my back. Sasha was barely five-two and always loved to wear heels so tall you wondered how she worked in them. In contrast, I was about five-six and, though I liked heels, I could be found in tennis shoes more often than not because I had so much running around to do.

"Kat." Sasha's voice broke into my drifting thoughts. "Are you listening to me?"

"My bad, girl." I blinked hard. "What did you say?" Finishing my hair, I put my comb away and pulled out my lip balm.

"Troy is moving back into town. Permanently, according to Mom."

"Troy? As in your brother Troy?" I raised a brow at my own reflection. "What's he moving back for?"

I hadn't seen Troy since he had graduated from high school. Sasha and I had just graduated from middle school and he had shared his party with us. Even now, I can still remember watching him hang out with his friends and wondering what it would be like to be close to him. I had had the stupidest crush on him when I was younger. From his large muscles, courtesy of football, and long workouts, to his pearly white smile, he had captivated my young heart.