Throwing Rocks

Sarah:

I didn't want the day to end. This week had gone from good, to bad, to better and i knew Niall was waiting to tell me he had to go back to England well Ireland. I know he doesn't think i'm stupid but he should really get it off his chest. I know he can't stay out here forever no matter how much i would like him too. He has to go back to Ireland and see his family. I would finish my senior year and maybe get to see him before he went back on tour to New Zealand and Australia. I would be 18 by then. He could fly me out to Ireland to meet his family. That is.. If he wanted to be with me still.

I know i'm not the prettiest girl out there. Niall could have anyone. At any moment he could decide i'm not good enough for him. i tried not to think about it. He was the only guy i've liked that ever really paid attention to me. Besides Harry, but he was nice to everyone. I sighed inwardly. We had changed out of our costumes. Niall told me to keep mine. Said i looked cute in it. I was messing with the fabric tiara unlacing the straps and then re-tying them. "Something wrong love?" He asked. I shook my head.

"It's nothing.. I just... Nothing." I said stuttering a little. Niall took one hand off the wheel and took mine in his. I looked up at him. We were at a stop light so he looked at me.

"Come on Sarah. Tell me." His blue eyes pierced through me. I shook my head and looked away.

"No it's dumb never mind." I said. He squeezed my hand. The light turned green and he pressed on the gas. It was quiet. I broke. "You're leaving soon." I blurted out. I bit my lip waiting for his response. He sighed.

"Yeah I am." He said slowly.

"And I'll be here." I said quietly. Silence. "Are you going to break up with me." Niall slammed on the brakes.

"What?" he asked slightly confused.

"Umm there are cars behind us." i said looking back at a really pissed off woman honking her horn. He slowly pressed on the gas and looked ahead. He had let go of my hand. He was now tightening his grip on the wheel.

"What makes you say that?" he asked after a little while. I glanced at him. His expression had hardened.

"I just.. I don't know... The time difference. You're going to be so far away and..." i stopped. He didn't look at me. "Just never mind." i said quietly. There was a long uncomfortable silence.

"I'm not going to break up with you." he said. I looked at him. "Are you going to break up with me?" he asked. He sounded scared. I wanted to laugh but this was not the right time.

"No. Of course not." i answered immediately.

"Then there we go." he said as he pulled up into my driveway. He killed the engine, but neither of us moved. It was just a little after 5:30. My backpack with my homework, that i probably woldn't do, was in the back seat. It was darker than it should have been for this time of day. The sun had almost set and was splashing red, and gold across the sky. Niall turned to look at me but i ddin't catch is eye. "Sarah." he said. He took my hand and started to trace the lines of my palm. I looked at him then. "I leave next week." he said so quietly i almost didn't hear him.

"Ok." i breathed out. He shook his head.

"It's not ok. I wish you could come with me." he lightly squeezed my hand and i looked at him.

"Really?" i asked. He smiled slowly.

"Of course." i smiled back. "You're the best thing that's happened to me in a while." i blushed.

"Well i turn 18 over the summer. I could fly out to see you before you go on tour. If we're still together that is." i replied stumbling to find the right words.