13. I Don't Know What's Up With Me And Bathrooms

Chapter 13

I Don’t Know What’s Up With Me And Bathrooms

“What?” I asked, my eyes wide open, disbelieving.  When John had said what he did, I jumped…and then had to catch myself before falling off the bed.  “What do you mean by that?”

John smiled at me, that smile that portrayed just how much he loved putting me in a place that I wasn’t quite expecting.  The way he was leaned against the door frame of the bathroom in our room said just how at ease he seemed to be, even when it had totally caught me off guard.  “What do I mean by that?  I mean that I want to go out.  On a date.  Without Stella and Ren.  Just the two of us.  Nothing to worry us for a few hours.  Is it strange for a man to want to take the most important woman in his life out for the night?”

I gave him a blank look.  “In your case, yes.”

He snorted and started toward me, a mischievous look in his eyes.  “Seems like I need to up the romance ante then, huh?”

Just to get to him, I decided to be a little mean.  “Since when have you ever been romantic?  I don’t even think that I’ve associated the word with you.”

That mischievous look grew with every step.  “So that’s what you think of me?”

“Yep,” I grinned.  “The only words I associate with you are mean…”

Sure, I am.”

“Arrogant.”

“Whatever you say, Em.”

“Argumentative.”

“Really?  Now, who’s being mean?”

“Am not.”

“Are to.”

“Not.”

He raised an eyebrow.  “Are we going to fight like three-year-olds now?”

Just to annoy, I stuck my tongue out at him.

Though I could see him fighting not to roll his eyes, he stopped right in front of where I was lying and knelt down, his face level with mine.  “Come on.  Please?  You know you want to.  Don’t make me resort to begging…or kidnapping you.”

“Wouldn’t be the first time,” I muttered, pursing my lips to keep myself from smiling.  It got him to laugh nevertheless.  “Okay, fine.  Whatever.  You won’t have to beg or kidnap me again…though the last time threw me in for quite the adventure.”

John’s grin broadened before he leaned forward to press a quick kiss to my lips.  “Everything’s an adventure with you, Emmy love.”

 ...

“We’ve been here in Berlin for three days,” I ranted as I paced the length of the hotel room.  “Why is he so adamant on going out now?  And it’s pouring down rain!  This is an afternoon when I’d rather just be lying in bed than going out.”

“And that’s what all of us have been doing since we got here,” Stella laughed as she dug through my suitcase.  She’d barged into the room after I suspected John had gone next door to their room to tell them that we were going out for the night.  Insisting that I dress up just a little, despite the weather, she was trying to piece together the perfect outfit for a rainy afternoon and evening date. 

Stella,” I groaned. 

Emmy.  John’s kind of looking forward to this, so don’t burst his happy bubble.  We all know how easy it is to do just that, too…Ah ha!”