Away From Home for The Holidays

Lydia's POV

Given that I'd gone a whole month without talking to Stiles, I didn't think a week would be that hard. I could still text him and we called each other every night. A week wouldn't be so bad, right?

Saturday wasn't so hard. It was nice having a day to myself to just sit at home and do nothing. Of course, it would've been better if I had someone with me... I almost called Allison a few times before remembering that she had gone back home, too. I guess I should explain why I didn't go home for Thanksgiving.

Holidays at my moms house were always chaotic. She would invite her mom and her sister and my cousins over for a big meal that usually turned out terrible because she doesn't know how to cook. My grandma would spend her time scolding me about how my dress was too short or that I didn't need so much makeup. My mom would argue with her sister about how the turkey had to be cooked and my cousins would just trash the whole house. My dad never had anyone come over, which was fine, but I didn't feel like driving to San Francisco just to eat pre cooked turkey and stuffing from a can. So I told my parents I couldn't get off work for a whole week and needed to save my money, which wasn't true, I just didn't know how to tell them I hated having Thanksgiving with them.

My family was never much of a family, but I grew up with it like that, so I never thought anything of it. But when I got a bit older, kids started asking me what I was doing for Thanksgiving or if I was going to church on Christmas Eve. My answer was always something along the lines of "I'm not doing anything." Finally, I started to see that my parents weren't like most parents and were more concerned with their work than they were with me. Sure, we'd have a nice dinner and I'd get presents on Christmas Day, but that was it. And when they got divorced, the chances of us doing anything at all were zero.

Actually, this would be my first holiday season away from home, and I was more than okay with that.

hey guys! sorry again for the slow update I haven't really been in a writing mood lately & I start high school on Wednesday so I'm really scared tbh haha. but I just finished a chapter so I thought I'd update :) thanks for being so patient I love you guys!
-Kaitlyn