Chapter 6 - In Which Torture Devices = Fashion Statement

Author's Note:

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the long wait. I kind of had writer's block. I know... scary. But right now, I am just having a hard time really getting into the story. I am sure that it will become easier and more fluid for me in the next few chapters. Hopefully.

WINTER IS COMING!!!! YEAH!

Even though winter isn't  my favourite season, it is definitely the one I look forward to the most: snow, wearing more layers, Christmas (!!) and SNOWBOARDING(!!!!!!!!). I. Cannot. Wait!

***

My eyes start to flutter as a knock at the door threatens to disturb my sleep.

Groaning, I roll over onto my stomach and listen as the knocks continue and someone rushes around the room.

"Elizabeth, Annalee?" I hear Father call from the other side of the door. "Are you alright? Are you decent?"

"Yes! Yes!" Lizzie calls back and I quickly jump out of bed, still groggy and slip on a robe the second Father enters the room, followed by Tulla, and Millie.  

"Still abed at this hour?" He asks, noticing the nightgowns. "It's a beautiful day."

Tulla opens the curtains and windows, flooding the room with the bright midmorning sun. 

I clamp my eyes shut against the blinding light.

"I have gifts for you." Father says gesturing to the other maid, holding two large boxes.

Opening my eyes just enough to see my surroundings, I watch as Father opens the top box and Lizzie, takes out a beautiful golden gown, her face lighting up, delighted.

"Oh, it's beautiful!" She gasps, grinning widely.

Father then opens the second box, and I take the contents out revealing another dress, this one a light blue.

I stare at it, shocked at how intricately detailed it is.

The bodice is embroidered like many of my dresses but this one is done by threading miniature beads onto it. The square neckline and the bottom of the dress are completely hemmed with an inch of delicate tulle and the bell shaped sleeves end right at my elbows.

I stand on my tiptoes, kissing my father on his cheek.

"May I enquire as to the occasion?" Elizabeth asks.

"Does a Father need an occasion to dote upon his daughters?" Father answers.

I cock my head towards him, "Absolutely."

I see him squirm a bit as Lizzie and I both go behind our dressing screens and the two maids start helping us into the dresses.

"Actually, I, um, I had hoped you might wear it for the ceremony today." Father says.

"The ceremony?" I ask.

"Captain Norrington's promotion ceremony." He says and I hear the pride in his voice. The Captain had become somewhat of a son to him over the years.

"I knew it!" Lizzie exclaimed poking her head around the side of the screen.

"Commodore Norrington as he's about to become. A fine gentleman, don't you think?" Father says to Lizzie.  "He fancies you, you know."

"Elizabeth? How's it coming?" He asks, hearing her grunt and groan, and I laugh at the strange noises. I hear her start to chuckle back but she is cut short by a loud gasp.