Intro and Prologue

Packs of the River Stone Valley:

Precipice Pack-Truthful, virtuous thick coated wolves that have strong paws and legs to climb steep terrain

Alpha: Large,

Night Pack- Cunning, treacherous wolves with unusually long fangs

Forest Pack- Lithe, honor-worthy wolves that are good at chasing and stalking

River Pack- Kind, loyal wolves with large paws to swim and scoop fish out of the water

l~~~~~~~~~~~Prologue~~~~~~~~~~~l

Moon light twisted and turned among the rocks. Dark figures ran through the Rocky Plains.

Wolves.

One ruffed aloud. "How much time will it for this deer to tire out, Beta?" Beta answered but didn't turn her head. "Don't worry, Slash, this deer can't run forever." A white wolf with swirling blue eyes barked with laughter.

"Slash, I never thought you would tire! At least that's what you said in camp!" Slash grunted with annoyance. "Shut your mouth, Diamond." Their Beta watched with amused eyes. The grey wolf yelped when he saw a huge boulder in front of him. The deer slipped through a small crack on the right side. Slash was on the right side as well, so he slipped through too. Beta and Diamond stopped. "Diamond," Beta barked "Follow Slash through South Path, go!" She nodded and sprinted away into the darkness.

As Diamond ran, she picked up many smells of smaller prey. No time to hunt, she thought. Maybe later. Diamond slowed to a trot as she heard voices of Night Pack wolves. She also scented a piece of large dead prey. She heard the voices of Night Pack wolves Rumble, Night Pack's Beta, Flight, a hunter, and Dust, also a hunter.

Diamond heard his voice the most. "Why did you kill this deer near the border? Trying to prove you have better prey than us?" Slash growled in anger. "No, bug-brain! I was trying to hunt for my pack." Dust barked with laughter. " That-That's a good one. But I doubt it's true." Diamond stepped in.

"Excuse me,Dust, but Slash didn't kill the deer on Night Pack territory. So to be true, I have no idea why you're putting up a fuss!" Dust yelped in mock surprise. Flight growled at him. "It's true, you know that Dust." She looked at the Precipice Pack wolves with discontent. "But it's also true you almost killed this deer on our territory." Rumble watched his daughter with proud eyes. "Yes, well, to be fair, I think they should be off with a warning." Dust opened his mouth to argue. "And since I am Beta, my decision will NOT BE QUESTIONED."

Dust lowered his head. "Yes, Beta." He nodded at the other wolves and signaled them to follow. They walked away towards camp.

Diamond and Slash made their way to South Path to the spot they split up with their Beta. No wolf was there. "Then, we're walking to camp." Diamond said.

The white wolf started her way to camp with Slash and the deer in tow. "That was a fun skirmish." Slash mumbled.

"I heard that, Slash. Don't think we won't report this to Alpha. I'm sure Beta already said something about it." Diamond replied. Slash grumbled in annoyance. As he kept walking, he heard something. Something BIG. "Hey, Diamond?" Slash barked. Diamond turned her head at her name. "Take the deer back to camp." Diamond tilted her head."Why? Are you going somewhere?" she replied.

"Yes. Tell Alpha I'm going to see if there's a threat in the West Caves." Slash barked. She shrugged in reply and took the deer in her jaws. Slash made his way until a sharp crack caught his attention. "Who's there?" He yelped. In his head, he scorned himself for the fear in his voice. A low growl came in front of him. Slash didn't wait to figure out what it was. He turned tail and ran. No, sprinted down the path. "HELP! HELP!" He barked blindingly loud.

Diamond sprinted down where she heard Slash bark for help. She kept on running until she found the West Cave Narrow. Diamond squeezed herself through and gasped at what she saw next.

The dead, bloody body of Slash.