07

Marianne lurked behind the library near the steps that lead down to the place she believed her brother had been entrapped. Her hands balled up into fists as she resisted the sweet urge to storm down there and murder anyone in her path. But that wasn't her; when she lived with her father, he would describe her as so soft, she would never think to harm a fly. That was also the reason why Marianne was so angry, Tristan had changed her life in so many negative ways, she never thought murder would be an option in her own mind. But, people need to adapt to their surroundings.

"Marianne, My love, what are you doing down this part of the castle?" his voice stopped her heart as her muscles tensed. Marianne took a deep breath and quickly turned around to see Tristan.

"Tristan, dear" She forced a smile and spoke his name in a falsified surprise "I had just been in the library and I exited
Through the wrong door" she lied, her mind quickly running through every single word so she didn't tread on her own toes.

Tristan stretched his arm around her shoulders and almost scooped her up. "It is alright, this is your castle too" he said

"What is down there?" She had resisted Tristan's force, he tried pulling her away but she stood her ground firmly. Her gaze returning to the stairs. "After all it is my castle too"

Tristan took a deep breath, weighing up the positives and negatives of telling her what was really down there. "It's the dungeons dear"

"You already have dungeons" Marianne detached herself from him and gave Tristan a very uncertain look.

He had tried. He had tried to stop her mind from going over and over because if he told her the truth, she'd keep thinking about it. "It's a room where I keep very dangerous people, and where I take others to torture"

"Dangerous people?" She asked, trying to think of why her young brother was dangerous.

"As in, murderers, rapists. Creatures beyond your wildest imagine" Tristan explained, snaking his arm in hers and trying to pull away

Of course. Damien had been captured in witch territory, it only made her wonder who else he had been keeping down there. Wolves? It also Made her think if he found Elijah's kind, would he capture them.

"Can I go down?" She asked in determination

Tristan had to stop himself from point blank refusing "my love I do allow you to do many a things but this is uncharted territory for you; it's dangerous"

Marianne finally allowed herself to be pulled away; though recently the slightest of his touch had made her feel nauseous.

Rebekah,  who had been wandering the unsociable parts of the castle had quickly stumbled upon her new alliance. She looked unbelievably uncomfortable.

"Marianne" she jumped in front of them "are you ready to go?"

At first Marianne looked confused, why did this woman she had only just met ask her if she was ready to go? Where?

"You have plans?" Tristan asked, examining Rebekah's flawless face as she tried to keep calm.

Marianne also looked at the blonde, her eyebrows furrowed and everything finally clicked. "Oh yes" Marianne blurted "forgive me I must have forgotten, me and Rebekah will be taking a trip into town this afternoon" she told Tristan who nodded "I will not be back until late"

It was some news. Usually Marianne never really socialised out of the de Martel family, it was always Aurora she would go out with. And usually Tristan would have had plenty of notice "okay" he said "but when out, be careful, you know where..."

"... Where I cannot go, I am not a child" Marianne raised her eyebrow and finished his sentence "I can take care of myself; now Rebekah lets go before the markets close"

Marianne quickly escaped, followed by Rebekah.

When she finally had reached a part of the castle when she knew Tristan would've be able to hear. Marianne breathed out in relief "thank you" she sad gratefully "somehow I cannot stand him recently, even more than before"

"It's because you've made real friends dear" Rebekah smiled, she never truly had a female friend herself; only her mother. "Don't thank me, Marianne, you looked uncomfortable, it was the least I could do"

"Did you drink the elixir?" Marianne asked her "I told Elijah it takes a while to incorporate itself into your bloodstream"

Rebekah nodded "we took it all together, my brother's nerves seem to have calmed since" she informed the witch

"I can see Niklaus' have" Marianne replied "I've seen him sneak around with Aurora, I doubt Tristan nor Lucien would be best pleased once they found out"

"It isn't like he is sneaking around with it either" Rebekah moaned, actually feeling comfortable having a conversation and expressing her emotions to Marianne. It was like having a proper friend. "I've caught them a few times"

"Well, at least they are happy and it Is all that someone could ask for" Marianne smiled; she didn't admit it or loud, but she was incredibly jealous of Rebekah. Not because of her looks not golden flowing hair, if they were to compare beauty they'd both be equal. But, Marianne was jealous of Rebekah's family, it had been so long since Marianne had a family, she had almost forgotten what it was like.

"Well Elijah seems happier; he has a new crush on a girl in the village, someone called Aya?" Rebekah asked if Marianne knew of her.

"I know of her, not personally" Marianne replied, something deep down in her clicked and she actually felt jealousy of Aya. Elijah had been kind to her these few days, it's something she'd never really had when living here.

Rebekah noticed the change of tone Marianne took, she realised she had struck a nerve when mentioning her brother, or maybe she struck a nerve mentioning a girl he had fallen for.

"Do you have a crush on my brother?" Rebekah asked, smiling and laughing as if it were just nothing.

"What?" Marianne laughed nervously "that is insane, of course not, I could never..." Her laugh faded

"... Could never do what?" Rebekah asked

"I do not even know what it feels like; I could never let myself be happy enough to actually love someone" Marianne looked at Rebekah and then away "it means giving up all control, I've already given up most control when marrying Tristan. I'm that kind of girl that always needs it"

"When you find the right person" Rebekah placed her hand on Mariannes shoulder "you don't even realise you've lost your control"

She smiled slightly "you're coming to the wedding, aren't you?" She asked hopefully.

"To support you, I wouldn't miss it" Rebekah replied with a smile on her face "I'll be in the front row"