The Death Sentence

I slide effortlessly through the clear salty waters of District Four.  The bright colored schools of fish swim beneath me. District Four really is a sight to see. I've heard it's one of the most gorgeous Districts. The District of the sea. Which I absolutely love. It's almost like your always on a vacation. If it weren't for the Hunger Games. Which reminds me; I need to get back home to get ready for the reaping. My mother is probably having a fit at the moment. I swim towards the shore, the waves helping me in the process. As I reach the sand I grab the bucket full of fish I caught this morning, and the trident I used to spear then with. I climb up a few large rocks, and head through the path I had cleared out a few years ago. I walk in my home minutes later and hear my mother yell "Aeropostale! Your going to be late for the reaping."
"Relax mom, I'll be ready in fifteen minutes." I laugh.
"You best be. I told you to not go out today." She scolds me.
"Marine calm down, look what she caught." My father gestures to my fish bucket. Which causes my mother to chill out a bit.
"We will eat very well tonight." My mother smiles proudly. We're not necessarily a poor family, well not poor enough to need to take tesserae. But we aren't really rich either. We're poor enough to need to catch our food but rich enough to buy the things we need. Just not always the things we want.
"Never doubt me mother." I giggle running upstairs to the small bathroom four people share. It used to be five, but my older sister Sawyer died in the Games. She was reaped when she was sixteen, four years ago. She went in and turned a complete savage. All in all she took eleven lives. Which completely terrifies me. How could someone who took care of me and comfort me all my life go off and take the lives of innocent children? She was in the top three whenever a career took her out without her least expecting it. My father left for weeks whenever her death came. And whenever he came back he never told us where he was. My mother completely shut everyone out. Leaving me to take care of Posy. My two year old sister at the time. My family is different now, my sisters death affecting us all in different ways. But I guess you could say we're doing pretty good now. No one randomly breaks down anymore. We can handle it.
~20 minutes later~
I'm walking to the town square. With Posy's small six year old hand clutched in mine. She's too young to fully understand the Hunger Games. But she knows that if I'm picked there's a very small chance of me coming home. My mother and my father are right behind us. As we reach the square I squat down some I'm eye to eye with my baby sister. My poor parents. They've had to raise three girls. I'm sure they wished for a boy.
"I love you lots Posy." I pull the small girl in for a hug.
"I love you too Aeropostale. Please don't get picked." A small tear trickles down her cheek. I frown and wipe it off gently.
"I won't. Whenever we get back home I'll take you out to the beach for a swim, okay?" I ask softly. Posy slowly nods and my mother grabs her hand and takes them over to the people who are unavailable to be reaped. The line to get my finger pricked goes by much to fast, and now I'm walking to the seventeen year old sections. I go and stand by my best friend, Coral.
"Isn't it pathetic how half of these seventeen year olds are on the verge of tears? Better you than some twelve year old." Coral spits. Coral is a career. But she's not looking to volunteer until she's eighteen. I don't know why she would want to volunteer. You would either die in that arena or come out and be forced to live with all those children's lives you've murdered.
"I agree. But half of those teens have family's to go home too. Mouths to feed." I point out.
"Yeah, you have a point. But still. It pisses me off." She huffs and rolls her eyes. Just as she gets that last sentence out District fours escort Fiona Yohan comes out from behind the stage. Her bright turquoise hair is hanging in sheets of curls down her back, her face is also done in turquoise. Turquoise eyeliner, turquoise eye shadow, turquoise blush, turquoise lips. Her dress too, is turquoise and hugs her figure tightly. On her feet are a pair of crystal heels, one of the only things that aren't turquoise.
"It looks like the sea barfed on her." Coral whispers causing me to giggle.
"Welcome to the 89th reaping! I am honored to be able to escort this District! But before we move along with the reaping we have a special video that the Capitol would love for you all to watch, so let's get on with it." Fiona giggles.
The video explains the dark days and why we have the Hunger Games. Then it shows clips of the most famous Victors. Haymitch Abernathy fighting a girl with an axe, Finnick odair using his trident skills, Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark shoving berries into their mouths, then it shows clips of the 75th Hunger Games whenever lots of the victors got out of the arena. Then it reminds us of all the lives lost during the rebellion, and shows how the Capitol ended up winning in the ending. It's honestly such a shame. If the rebels had ended up winning we wouldn't have the Hunger Games anymore. The video goes on to show us recent victors. But I start to zone out until Fiona's loud voice bombs over the town square.
"The time has come to pick one courageous young man and woman to represent District Four in the 89th annual Hunger Games!" She walks over to the crystal bowl and puts her hand in there.
God please protect me from this reaping. Please don't let me get picked. I have a family to take care of. I promise I'll start coming to church if you prevent me from being picked.
Amen.
Fiona's hand is in that bowl for what feels like forever. Almost as if she's teasing us. She finally plucks out a name and slowly opens it.
"The woman representing District Four is Aeropostale Colbee."
Damnit.
I look over at Coral, her eyes wide she starts to step forward and screams "I volun-" but I push her back so hard she falls onto the ground.
"Don't you dare Coral." I scream and start toward the stage with my shoulders back and standing up straight. Be fierce Aeropostale. Don't let them peg you as a weak. I step into the stage and a look of hatred fills me face.
"Hello Aeropostale. If you could describe yourself in one word what would it be?" Fiona asks cheerfully.
"Humane." I simply say and go and sit on my chair.
"Well then, now for the boys. Bruce Haze." She beams. A boy comes out of the eighteen year old section with muscles the size of my thighs, and blonde hair cascading down into his bright sea green eyes. Looking terrifying as ever.
"Bruce if you could describe yourself in one word what would it be?" Fiona smiles girlishly placing a hand on his biceps. Is she.. Flirting? That's not right at all. She's like forty. I shudder.
"Underage." He smirks and she flushes a bright red.
"Here you have it. District Fours tributes for the 89th annual Hunger Games!" Fiona yelps, her face still tomato red. As I'm exiting the stage I have one thought running through my head. I stand no chance whatsoever.
~~Authors note
Hey guys:) this is like my first Hunger Games fanfic whatsoever. So please don't judge to harshly! I'm not going to fully edit it until I'm completely finished with this book. So to all you Grammar freaks out there just warning you. Lemme know how you like it, or even if it's bad! I love feedback and it helps me as a writer. So thank you:)