Episode 16: A Man Chooses...

M.A.I.D.S. Episode 16 – A Man Chooses…

Ben helped Sotiria to her feet, the Synthia holding her ribs where Monroe had kicked her.  The pair of traitors stared hard at Pandora and Adam.  Pandora’s tear-streaked face was locked on Adam while she did what she could to mend him.  A small crowd of people was starting to form, drawn by the crashed car and the commotion.  Someone sent for a doctor, while others were recording the scene with personal devices.  In a matter of moments they would be all over the news, all over the world.

“We gots to go.  Like, now,” Monroe told Pandora.  He scooped Adam up in his arms and placed him gently in the back seat of the car.  Pandora climbed in next to her owner, her face graven with concern.  Monroe walked over to Ben and Sotiria with fire in his eyes.

“You sorry son of a bitch,” was all the big man said.  A single punch from his powerful fist was enough to put Ben out, but he stomped the reporter’s ribs once for good measure.  Ben’s gun was confiscated by Monroe, and the big man threw the unconscious reporter into a ditch on the side of the road.  People fled the rampaging warrior in terror.  Monroe then turned his furious attention to the Synthia.

“You’re Pandora’s.  Get yo’ ass in the car, time now!” he ordered Sotiria.  The Synthia reluctantly obeyed, yielding to the simple logic of ownership.  Monroe did not have to lay a hand on her, and he shut the door for her in what would be, under fairer circumstances, a gentlemanly manner.

“What about Ben?” Pandora asked as Monroe got the car back on the road.

“Don’t you worry about that godless ass-chimp.  He’ll be out for a while,” Monroe boasted and flexed his mighty hand.  Pandora nodded, her attention quickly returning to Adam.

“Adam?” she asked nervously.  There was a lot of blood, but Pandora’s expert knowledge allowed her to treat the wound with minimal implements of medical functionality.  The synthetic woman made do with whatever was at hand—Monroe’s multi-tool, Adam’s boot-knife, various items found in the car—to patch Adam up.  Pandora did not miraculously heal her owner, but repaired him.  She needed to monitor him vigilantly to avoid complications, however.

“He gonna be OK?” Monroe asked for the fifth time as the car sped toward Canada like a drunk on unsteady legs.

“Adam would be better served with a more talented driver, but yes, Adam will live,” Pandora replied with some annoyance.  “He lost a lot of blood, so he is resting now.  I will need to keep an eye on him until I can get him some decent medical treatment.  We are fortunate that Sotiria did not come equipped with proficiency in firearms.”

“I do possess one skillset relevant to our plight,” the Synthia replied in its carefully modulated voice.  “I am a skilled driver.  If you will allow me, I will get us into Canada 34% faster than Monroe is capable of,” she paused before adding, “It will be a smoother ride, as well.”

“That’s crazy-talk! Didn’t this bionic bitch just try to kill my best friend?” Monroe growled in protest.  Pandora’s green eyes were absorbed with the sleeping form of her man.

“If you do not reach the airport with all haste, you may very well have to face your FIST pursuers,” Sotiria pointed out.

“Let her drive,” Pandora commanded coolly.  “I need to get Adam and I into clothes that are covered in significantly less blood, lest we draw too much attention at the airport.  Monroe, your driving is not as refined as is your combat expertise.  Please yield the wheel to Sotiria.  Sotiria, would you kindly take us to Edmonton International Airport?  Drive as swiftly and safely as possible.  You are to harm none of us; do not disobey me,” Pandora issued orders to her companions in Adam’s stead, and her words carried just as much weight.  Monroe pulled the vehicle over and allowed Sotiria to take the wheel, layering his own soft threats of physical violence for any further betrayals from the Synthia.  Content merely to put one of its skillsets to use, Sotiria took over driving.  Everyone was silently thankful for a smoother ride.