Chapter Thirty-Four

"Tell me about your family." Diana spoke.

Alice's breath hitched in her throat as she reached for Tom's hand. She squeezed it tightly, swallowing the lump in her throat.

"Mum, that's not-"

"I can talk about it." Alice interjected softly.

Diana looked between the two and took a deep breath.

"I'm sorry if I upset you by asking. I know not all family situations are great." Diana told them.

"The family I grew up with was not the best to me. I have a younger brother, George. My parents didn't care much about our interests. They wanted us to be just like them and whenever we were 'out of line,' they'd punish us. Um, they hated anything that was remotely creative and George and I are creatives at heart, so we'd sneak out to go out with friends, lie about where we were if we were in rehearsals. To make a long story short, when they found out I worked at the cabaret, it was either quit and stay with them or stay at the show and move out. So... I stayed with the show and they cut me out. I have no contact whatsoever."

"I'm sorry, Alice. If it's any consolation, I'm glad you chose to leave. I have been to many plays in my lifetime, including Tom's productions. I have seen talented after talented actors grace those stages... and I told Tom, as I sat in my seat watching the play, that I saw another one on that stage. And that someone was you, Alice." Diana told her.

Alice quickly glanced down at her lap as she blushed.

"It's true," Tom spoke up. "After your monologue, that you had so much trouble with freshman year, she looked at me and told me that."

Alice looked up at Tom and beamed before turning her attention back to Diana.

"Thank you," Alice grinned. "But that's why I want you to meet my friends from the show. They aren't just my friends but they are, truly, the family I have always wanted. Esther runs the show and owns the building. Jamie, her daughter, works as an ensemble dancer. Cory works as a dancer as well as being an assistant choreographer and his boyfriend, Pierre, works as the tickettaker and MC of the show. The few days after I got kicked out, they took me in with open arms and no judgement. I'd been living with Pierre and Cory before I moved in here."

"What did they think of you having a relationship with Tom?" Diana furrowed her brow.

"I will be honest, it was welcomed with mixed emotions. Cory and Jamie were okay with it but Pierre and Esther, especially Esther, had a lot of reservations about it. Now, they love him but not as much as I do."

Diana laughed softly as Alice felt Tom squeeze her hand.

"I'm delighted to know that you want me to meet your family." Diana remarked.

"I thought it best that if you wanted to meet me to get to know me better, you should meet the most important people in my life."

After a moment, Tom went to get the dinner ready as Alice and Diana kept talking in the living room. Soon there was a knock at the door and Tom went to open it. He welcomed in Esther, Jamie, Pierre and Cory into the apartment and they all flooded into the living room. Diana and Alice stood from their seats seeing them all. Alice rushed over to them as Diana beamed seeing her interact with them.

"Guys, I'd like to introduce to you, Diana. This is Tom's mom." Alice grinned.

They all walked over to Diana and introduced themselves.

"Yes, Alice was just telling me about you all in great detail."

"All good things, we hope." Cory chuckled.