Patriotism

PATRIOTISM

'When's she due?' asked Allie.

Mrs. Hodge beamed, one hand on her stomach.

'Next spring. We have our first scan later. A scan for my little May born baby,' she said.

'To join September, October, and January,' said Mr. Hodge.

His wife laughed, slapping him on his stomach. His near horizontal posture reminded Allie of teenaged joyriders.

'Whose fault is that?

Mr. Hodge grinned guiltily. His legs were wide open, displaying the exact culprit. Allie's eyes flickered across the crotch of his tracksuit bottoms, then to his wife's wide, frog-like face. Imagine, the cream of their little society, and they were sat across from her looking like a pair of animals.

Allie had measured the progress of their drinks for the past hour. Neither of them had anything at the bottom of their cups now, and yet neither of them showed any intention of shifting. The soft ticking of the clock went on. It was time for the uncomfortable questions.

'Aren't you worried about...you know.'

Mrs. Hodge smiled slowly, accentuating her double chin.

'No. We'll be just fine here.'

'We will, we will,' said her husband. 'It's all talk, don't you worry love. They can stand around forever legislating. Vilifying!'

He seemed rather proud of himself for that word. Mrs. Hodge patted his stomach again.

'We know what we're doing is right, and none of their poxy little laws can stop us! If enough people come together under us, they can't do anything about it.'

Mr. Hodge frowned suddenly, sitting up. His eyes fixed on her; small, pale blue.

'Why? You're not thinking of going south are you? I know you're from there originally.'

'No!' said Allie hastily. 'How could I? Haven't got a passport.'

It was true. She had asked around quietly all week, but nothing had come up. Security was tighter than ever after last week's raids. The Queen herself couldn't get past Birmingham. Not that she'd want to.

Mrs. Hodge began to stroke him gently, and he scrunched back down.

'Where are you from again, dear?' she asked.

'Cambridge,' said Allie. 'Where the university is, you know.'

'Oh.'

'We don't need any of that,' dismissed Mr. Hodge. 'We're going back to the basics here. The way things are supposed to be. And like I said, if there's enough people--and we're having another meeting tonight for that.'

His wife's hand stilled.

'It's Thursday.'

Mr. Hodge looked suddenly shifty. 'Yeah? And?'

'It's family day. You don't work on family day. What about the scan?'

'Don't nag me, woman,' he grumbled. 'I'll make the scan, and the meeting. The future's just as important as the now, especially these days.'

Mrs. Hodge's petting had been transferred from her husband to her stomach. She frowned. The air had gone stale.

'I think we'd better go.'

Allie jumped up, face frozen into a smile.

'I'll show you out.'

* * * *