Up the Garden Path

UP THE GARDEN PATH

'Where the hell is she going now?'

'Out to see it, probably.'

'And HIM.'

Joan Finchley stood at the coat-stand, wondering what to put on. There were five options available to her. The second, fourth, and fifth options were useless; winter jackets, and it was spring already. The third option was a horrendous fleece thing her husband had bought her last year--the husband currently sat in the living room whining to his mother. She stared at the husky dogs on the front of the fleece, trying not to listen.

The first option was to ignore the coat stand entirely.

But it was spring. Pastel sunshine filtered through cotton wool clouds. She didn't need anything, really.

Joan went out into the garden, closing the back door behind her. It was an irresistible torture to dawdle down the steps, listening to the voices that floated, clear as anything, out of the open window.

'I think it's scandalous. He's just as much to blame as her. What kind of man would persist ...' She made a disgusted noise. 'His best friend's wife. Not his own!'

'Mother, look!' He had spied her though the window. 'It's freezing out there, and she hasn't--'

Her mother-in-law's shameless stare burnt through the glass.

'Oh, leave her to it. You know why she does this? It's attention seeking is all, and that's the end of it, or else she would choose somewhere other than right under your very nose to ...' The old bat gave a funny little spasm, and broke off.

'But what will the neighbours say if I let her--'

'Just leave her, John!'

Joan hurried down the garden path towards the little building as quickly as possible, head down. As soon as she got inside, and the familiar draught from the open window washed over her, her shoulders loosened. A smile broke out on her face. Leaving her shoes at the door, she peeked into the nursery.

There she was. Joan felt her soul tremble at the sight of her. They were so callous. So cruel. How could they want her to actually ABANDON her tiny angel?

Joan stole closer. She was perfect. The warmth of spring seemed to agree with her, because her head -- the only part of her poking out of her cover -- had developed a little pink blush.

She was still, apart from the occasional gentle stirring. Joan sat down in a chair and watched her.

This wasn't her only little darling, of course. Joan had been married a long time. Once, her husband had as much enthusiasm for the nurturing role as she did. But that had all changed now. He'd tired quickly. John had denied Joan her only happiness. Really, it was his own fault that she had gone elsewhere.

There was a noise at the doorway; Joan turned to see HIM coming in, and stood up.

'Max!'

He flushed at the sight of her, looking straight into her eyes and offering a gentle smile.

'Joan,' he said, 'I thought you might be here.'

Joan laughed. 'Where else would I be? But Max, look. Look at her! Isn't she a beauty?'

Max moved to stand beside her.

'Lovely.'

But there was something wrong. Joan wasn't watching her angel anymore, she was watching Max's face, anxious. He remained staring at HER, his brow knitting and unknitting.

'What's wrong?' said Joan. Max took a deep breath, letting it all out in a frustrated whoosh.

'Max?'

'I--I think we need to talk to your husband.'

'What? But why?' said Joan. 'I told you not to bother about him. Don't think of him, Max. Please.'

'Don't upset yourself, Joan,' Max said hastily, patting her shoulder. 'I thought that I could make you happy--'

'You do make me happy!'

'I thought that I could give you some happiness in life, but I can't blatantly disregard my best friend's wishes.'

Joan wanted to shout, argue, but she held it in, for her angel's sake if nobody else's. Max began to lead her towards the door, one arm round her.

'Come on, Joan,' he said. 'Leave the plant. And here, take this.'

He shrugged off his jacket, hanging it off her shoulders. Joan stroked the light fabric, beginning to sniffle.

'But why? It's spring,' she said miserably.

'Its still chilly, Joan, and for God's sake you've got no clothes on. The neighbours can still see you through the greenhouse, you know.'

Max led Joan back up the garden path towards her husband.

*****
Hi there everyone! Hope you aren't too confused and are enjoying these stories so far!

I just wanted to let you know that I'm writing again -- but on a different account. If you're looking for a HOT but non-mushy romance with the same kind of unique twists as the stories in City of Night, check out the account @TupperwareQueen and have a read of The Ice King!

Love you all!