>trumpet section<

>>Trumpet Section<<

            In the trumpet section, there were approximately nine thousand guys and one single girl. The girl’s name? Lea. The guys’ names were too meaningless to relate, so let’s move on.

            Lea was a well-mannered girl, well-brought up, kind, and open to others. She had that sort of warm and welcome feel to her, and so she knew pretty much everyone in band, whether sophomore, freshman, or even juniors and seniors. And she was nice to everyone…

            With one exception, and his name was Brent.

            Brent was only a freshman, and he was rather short, but he was a superb trumpet player and was in the A jazz band at the school. He was the best of the freshman trumpets. And unfortunately, he knew he was, and that made him all the more frustrating. Lea, Leanne, and Kassandra all hated him equally much, but it was Lea who had to put up with him the most as they were in the same section in the band.

            “Left, right, left, right,” Lea hissed at Brent, cursing Greatman and Stein for putting her in between the world’s worst marchers: Brent and Christopher. “Left!

            But he pointedly ignored her and put his right foot down. Lea clenched her jaw and forced herself to relax, reminding herself that it was still him who was wrong. As their form changed, she was now behind Chris in the diagonal, and rolled her eyes when she noticed that he was out of step, too. Curse those two! They never did anything right!

            Up in the stands, Kurt Greatman shook his head in exasperation as he watched the band march. There were ten, no twenty, no, thirty people out of step at this point, and they were only halfway through the ballad. He refrained from yelling into the microphone when Brent and Joe nearly crashed into each other. He controlled his frustration and convinced himself to just keep watching and see how things play out.

            But by the time they got to the Closer, he could refrain himself no longer. “Mike, slow down! Brent, you’re out of step. Chris, stay behind the person in front of you – Brent, you’re out of step!”

            But Mike still blared out flat notes, Brent still shuffled around with his feet mixed up, and Chris wasn’t ever in line with the person in front of him. And this wasn’t even half of it – there were piccs, saxes, ‘bones, horns, clarinets, drums, and the pit.

            Lea herself was thankful that Greatman had yelled at Brent. The next time she hissed “left, right, left, right” at Brent, he actually listened for once. When she whispered to Chris to move left a step or so, he obliged willingly. When she passed by Mike and winced at the superbly flat note he played, she shot him a look and he raised the note ever so slightly.

            “Brent!” Greatman yelled. “You’re out of step, and if Joe’s in your way, run him over!”

            Needless to say, Lea was in control the rest of the rehearsal.