Chapter 3

Chapter 3

I had a nice long shower before I got out wrapped up in my brown towel and started to play with my nails. I wanted to change the colour of my nail paint and so I sat down to paint them red, just like my hair. People said I had pretty hair and a nice smile which gave me the confidence to be who I am.

After painting my nails I decided to wear my favourite green T-back top and jeans and went downstairs to the dining room to grab a snack.

On the white oval table which was placed in the centre of the room, there was a plate filled with cookies. Next to it was a bowl with some icky - sticky, oat meal and a glass of milk. The oat meal didn't look so fascinating to me so I sneaked in a chocolate cookie when suddenly a hand snapped it out of me. “You’re going to widen those hips of yours if you eat anymore", she spoke proudly as she circled the table to face me. I picked up the cookie again and this time very slowly chewed on it and ate it whole. "Mom I don't care. I like your cookies so let me eat them". I smiled naughtily and picked up the glass of milk.

She gave me a dull look and nodded her head in vain and said, “Fine, then don't come crying to me when you see your increased weight on the weighing scale", she frowned her eyebrows and sat down on a wooden chair. "Okay mom", I replied and drank the glass of milk and went upstairs, tied my hair into a ponytail, took my books and left for the opposite house.

It was around 11 am when I knocked at our neighbour’s door. A woman, the same one I saw that day entering the house, opened the door. She smiled at me in such a loving way, oh my, it melted me to see her warm smile. "Hello, I'm Haven, Your son...”, "Tenace" she completed. "Yea, Tenace. He had asked me to come over to jot down my notes". "Oh, yes, you’re the redhead he's been talking about all night, hello dear, come in, he's in his room upstairs", she opened the door wide and I entered nervously inside. I smiled at her wondering he had spoken about me to his mother earlier? Was he crazy? Which handsome guy would speak about a girl to his mom unless she meant something to him?

Completely freaked out I walked up the stairs as the lady walked into the kitchen. The stairs looked really grand. Suddenly I noticed this isn't how Mr Stephen’s house looked like. Over the summer I had noticed the construction work going on in this house but I hadn't realised it had gone through a complete transformation from inside. It looked beautiful! The sides of the staircase had glass railings and the stairs were covered with red silk carpet. I turned around and saw that the wooden main door had beautiful carvings made up of some different kind of dark teak wood.

It all looked so elegant. I looked up to notice a glass chandelier hanging at the centre of the entrance area before the stairs began. There were white tables at the left corners of the room, which had golden borders and crystal vases over them. Purple and blue flowers were dipped inside the vase which made it look so magnificent. As I climbed up the stairs I looked ahead and noticed a light grey door. It had dark blue lines on all four corners with copper latches giving it a furnished effect.

I guessed it was Tenace's room so I knocked at the door. I liked his name, Tenace. TENACE. Tenace it had a nice ring to it if said in an Italian way. I turned the golden knob and opened the door. The walls were white bricked with grey borders at the bottom which gave a grandiose effect along with the wooden flooring. Two huge windows, one from which a person could easily look into my room as my house was exactly opposite his and the other one facing the empty street.

Both the windows had a marble platform to sit on with beautiful black silky pillows over it. There was a wooden bookshelf on the right side of the room and a cupboard, of the colour similar to that of his door, was on the left with a white door next to it. The bed was placed in the centre of the room covered in white sheets with messy shirts scattered over it 

Tenace was nowhere to be seen in the room. I called out once again "Tenace, are you there?"An answer came from the other side of the white door "Just a minute, coming". I sat near the window not facing my room and saw an iron ladder, jutting out next to it. I dropped my bag and opened the window where there was a platform outside for support. I climbed  over to the platform with my hands on the ladder and I started to climb over up the ladder and reached the top of the roof.  Sitting over a flat surface where I felt safe enough to relax, I looked straight ahead to take a look at the view. Wow, what a view I thought. My house and many others could be seen all in a row. I sat there for a couple of minutes and wished I had something like this in my room , so I could climb up every evening and have a great view and some alone time.