Chapter 4

Chapter 4 

I was comfortably perched over my window sill in my short spaghetti night gown. It was a silky, dark blue gown that made me feel like I was floating on a cloud whenever I wore it. Lost in deep thoughts I stared down at the empty street. Things that had happened today rushed through my mind and played like a short film over and over again.

I was so lost in my thoughts that I looked like a zombie with big eyes waiting for its prey to cross the street. I noticed a guy in a white hoodie. He looked suspicious. At first I thought he was a neighbour but as I saw him climbing up Tenace’s house, I got worried. I shouted, “Mrs Colby”, very vaguely from my window and then I called out to Tenace, but nobody heard me.

 I was getting scared now. . I grabbed my black hoodie and a pepper spray bottle and ran out on the street. God knows what made me take such an irrational move but I went under the pipe the thief was climbing on and screamed while looking around,

“THIEF”

“THIEF”

“THIEF”

“HELP SOMEONE!!!!”

My gaze moved back on to the mysterious man to check if he had heard me or not and when I did, I panicked to watch him climb down the pipe to get me. I ran as fast as I could!! It was very ridiculous to take such a chance since obviously he was much faster and stronger than me and he somehow caught up. “Help someone! Help!” I screamed my lungs out.

“Stop running”, the man shouted breathlessly. He reached out to grab my clothes and I could feel him touch my hoodie and he held it tightly as he pulled me towards his chest which hurt.   He put his one hand over my mouth and the other one pressing my body close to his.

I struggled to breathe and tried reaching his face so that he would suffocate and let me go but instead he said, “Only if you calm down and listen to exactly what I am going to say I shall leave you, do you understand?”

“Fuck you, you asshole”, I said angrily when he let go off his hand from over my mouth. “Don’t abuse me woman”, he said calmly. “Settle down and then only shall I leave you”. I stopped squirming between his arms and settled down praying he would leave me but instead, the minute I calmed down, he swiftly twirled me around. When I opened my eyes his face was just an inch away from mine. I quickly slipped my hand inside my pocket and clutched the pepper spray tight... I was breathing heavily and I was so frightened.

He pulled me close, so close to his face that I thought he wanted to rape me. With a barbaric scream I shouted out, "DIE, DIE!" Unleashing my anger, I sprayed the entire bottle of the pepper into his eyes ruthlessly.

"Fucking good god Haven!" He shouted as he rubbed his eyes that burned as if I had put chillies in them. He struggled to open his eyes and tears poured out like water flowing from a tap. Wait a minute. I thought, did he just say... Haven? It was as if someone had pulled my heart out, I screamed.

“Good god! Tenace! I'm so sorry!"

"Get away! I'm too scared of you! Throw that stupid spray of yours", he shouted settling down on the floor and rubbing his eyes in excruciating pain."Tenace come here". I threw the spray on the ground and tried to come closer to him. He put his hand up indicating that I stop moving towards him. "Oh c’mon ! I'm sorry! Let me take you inside, do you have the keys to your house?"

He reached out into his pocket and handed me the keys. I walked to his door and opened it turning back to help him out but he was already on his feet with his palms placed on his eyes blindly, trying to walk into his house. Once inside he pointed towards the kitchen. I looked back nervously and let him lead the way.

He settled down on a steel stool. The kitchen looked so much better than mine. The dominant colours were orange,peach and silver which was steel. The kitchen was loaded with all the modern equipments.  It was filled with beautiful cupboards which were orange too, with wooden furnishing and glass windows; to see how the spices and basic materials were put.

A brand new refrigerator with 3 compartments looked so shiny. There was a small window in the centre of the fridge for water and ice. I pushed the button for some ice and two cubes fell into my palm. I hurriedly took a dark red cloth from the table where his head was resting in his hands and put the ice into them. "Tenace, look up please". I held his hair and forced him.

His eyelids were locked and he kept his eyes shut. I opened them and they were burning red. I put the ice cloth around the skin near his eyes and then blew some air into them. After a while of continuous care and letting the ice do its magic, he smiled and looked at me for the way I took care of him.

Suddenly I got conscious and backed off. "You should wash your eyes now", I told him. He put his hand on the table for support and went to the silvery shiny sink and put his face under the fancy long tap as the water automatically poured out.

He washed his eyes and then turned to me and opened them clearly. "Haven”, he whispered.

"Yes?"

"WOW"

"What?" I cringed wondering what he was talking about.

"That nighty I likey". He stuck out his tongue and stared away.

I looked at myself as my jacket was hanging far away from my chest and the blue silk gown stuck to my body tightly. My breasts almost poured out of the low V neck that was lacey and had a net-ike look around its edges. I wrapped my jacket tightly around my body, covering everything. “So umm, would you stop, I don’t know, checking me out?!”I looked pissed at him. He burst out in laughter, “A guy can’t really help seeing things like these”.

I was so embarrassed. “Okay I will let that slide. Do you mind telling me what the hell were you doing climbing up the pipe of your house to get inside when you had a key?”

“Oh, yeah, sorry about that I must have seemed to look like I was robbing my own house”. He laughed. I impatiently tapped my fingers to the table that had a smooth wooden finishing and some carvings on the four corners of it. “Haven, c’mon don’t be so mad! I was just going up to the roof to sit and think over things. I was feeling lazy so I decided to climb up the pipe knowing I would reach faster”.

With utter shock at his answer I rolled my eyes and let out a sigh. “You’re weird Tenace Colby, now if you excuse me I shall go and sleep in my bed as it has been a really long day”. I said goodbye as I walked out of his door, crossed the street and before I knew it I reached my bed. I stretched my arms and lay down.