Chapter One

Twin thunderbolts shot into the air, bathing the otherwise inky Storgian sky in a wash of yellow and white

Twin thunderbolts shot into the air, bathing the otherwise inky Storgian sky in a wash of yellow and white. A bow of white light ascended shortly after, racing up to meet one of the thunderbolts and attaching itself to it.

The two objects clung to each other intricately, like lovers in a passionate dance. Their union, stretching the bow of white light at its sides, to reveal a formerly non-existent string.

The eyes of the spectators gathered around the magician whose works lit up the night sky, were glued to his conjuration with keen interest. 

Storge, being the capital city of Phyleth, was the greatest hub of entertainment lovers in all of Terrianus. This singular reason drew magicians and entertainers from all over, with the promise of making their grand entry into the class of greats.

The crowd gasped in unison as the bow and thunderbolt combination shot themselves at the other thunderbolt, causing it to disintegrate and fall to the earth in a shower of bright sparkles.

"Woah!" The crowd cheered, lifting their hands into the air to catch the attractive sparkles.

It was futile.

The sparkles disappeared right before they made contact with their mortal hands.

The bow of light and thunderbolt arrow finally disengaged from each other, dropping slowly from the sky and falling into the magician's waiting hands.

The moment they touched his palms, their physical form coalesced into a weaver bird, which the magician let fly into the night.

The applause was deafening.

A young Davydd Bastien stood among the crowd, eyes wide in awe. 

He had always been drawn to magic. The art fascinated him, just like it did almost every other member of the huge spectating crowd.

Be that as it may, the magic was not the only reason Davydd was out here tonight. The other more compelling reason was about to begin.

The crowd of impressed spectators dropped silver coins into a black hat which the magician provided. Once the collection was over, the magician picked the hat up and turned it upside down, spilling its contents onto the soil beneath.

The crowd gasped again, as clear water fell out of the hat. 

The money was gone, right before their eyes.

It was the magician's closing trick, a befitting way to say goodbye to his dedicated viewers. 

The show was over. It was time for him to take his leave.

A little boy made his way out of the crowd, with a little bow and quiver hung across his back. He stood in front of the magician and stared straight at the older man's face.

"I have magic that's better than everything you did here tonight." He said, loud enough for everyone to hear him.

Curious stares shot at him from the crowd, but none could be compared to the look of shock on the magician's face.

"Is that so?" The magician asked.

"Yes. First, I'll reverse everything you've done and next, I'll make you chase me - but you won't catch me."

The magician laughed.

"That's not magic. That's impossible!" He blurted, dismissively.

"So why are you afraid to let me do it?" The little boy asked.

Whispers from the crowd filled the night, leaving the magician confused. He looked around at the skeptical eyes of his audience. It was clear he had been boxed into a corner. 

"Let's see what you have, little boy." The magician finally spoke, stepping away from the little boy.

The skeptical look on his face slowly turned to irritation.

Davydd lifted his hands into the air and balled them into a fist. By the time he opened his palm, the weaver bird the magician let fly into the night earlier, was lying in it - dead.

"I think I squashed it." Davydd grinned, dropping the dead bird to the ground.

"Huh?!" The crowd gasped, eyes glued to little Davydd.

"I think I'll stop here to spare you some dignity." Davydd grinned. 

"...and that's a nice coat, by the way." He added, lightly touching the magician's coat.

The magician stood confused for a few seconds, and then realization set in. He quickly grabbed his coat and felt around for the money he had collected for the night.

It was gone.

It was really gone.

Little Davydd smiled and waved as he raced his way through the crowd.

"Hey!" The magician shouted, running frantically after the little boy.

The crowd erupted in a roar of applause, as the magician and the boy raced out of the arena.