Chapter Two

King Valentine Vidor stormed in through the double doors that led to the private chambers of his personal blacksmith, causing everyone there to drop to their knees.

"Your Majesty!" They chorused, as his elegant presence filled the room.

"I want to have a word with Baximus, alone!" He ordered.

As king, he was a master at keeping his composure but even that did not erase a few lines of worry that were evident in the crease of his brows.

Servants, guards and friends rose to their feet and dashed out of the chambers as fast as their legs could carry them and as soon as the doors closed, Baximus spoke up.

"Your Majesty, I was having a little party for my son, Davydd. It's his thirteenth birthday today and I wanted to surprise him. I am sorry if the noise disturbed you perhaps."

"I am pleased to see that the boy grows in good health. You've done well, Baximus... but we have a problem."

"What is the matter, your Majesty?" Baximus asked.

"My men spotted Angwelethian soldiers just outside the borders of Phyleth. I have it on good authority that they are spies sent by King Sidion of Angweleth, in search of the boy. My worry however, is not the human soldiers. They can easily be taken care of. What I worry about are the blenders. I hear they have a few with them." King Vidor replied.

A combination of worry, concern and fear quickly became evident on Baximus's face.

"The blenders can pick up his scent, Your Majesty. What do we do?"

"From their location at the time of the report, it will take them about three days to reach Storge. We must move the boy to a safe location tonight. That way, we will ensure his scent does not trail behind when the spies reach the castle." He replied. "Where is he?"

"He is out of castle grounds, your Majesty. At a magic show just around the center of Storge." Baximus replied.

"That is too dangerous. We must get to him as quickly as possible. We don't know if the Angwelethian spies have a guardian with them. If they do, their travel time will be much shorter." The king stated.

"Guards!" He yelled, in a tone louder than the one he had been using with Baximus.

Four guards walked in through the door and fell on their knees.

"Your Majesty!" They replied.

"Take six of your men out towards the center of Storge. I need you to find Davydd Bastien and bring him here immediately." He ordered.

The guards nodded and made their way out of the chambers immediately.

"Where are you going to take him, your Majesty? If the Angwelethians have searched all the way to Phyleth, it is only a matter of time before they find him. I gave King Rikard my word. I can't let them take him." Baximus said, once they were alone.

"I understand your worry, Baximus but I will make sure he will not be found. I already sent guards out to get the wizard, Matilom. He will perform the portal opening spell to take Davydd to the Halfing Academy." King Vidor replied.

"The Halfing Academy?" Baximus asked, perplexed. "Where is that?"

"Exactly. It is in no singular place. The location is revealed when a locator spell is cast... and only by the strongest of wizards." King Vidor replied.

Baximus raised an eyebrow in a combination of surprise and disbelief.

"How can that be? If the academy is a school like I presume, how is it in multiple places at different times?"