Ch. 3 - Avalona

The Princess perked up as one of her guards yelled above.
"Get out of the way!"
The carriage didn't slow. It simply rumbled on.
"Reginold, what's going on above there?" She called. The guard lowered his head through the opening on the roof.
"Not a thing, Lady Avalona." He promised. She rolled her eyes.
"Reginold, I am no fool. I could hear you yelling from above."
Reginold nodded once.
"A pheasant, Lady Avalona. The savage just stood there until we were nearly on top if him. Why, if I hadn't warned him, he'd be dead now."
Avalona nodded. "Oh, yes. I'm sure he's grateful. That will be all, Reginold."
The guard disappeared through the roof again, leaving the Princess to herself.
Of course, she thought, you could just slow the carriage.
Princess Avalona of Ishmael had played her roll well. As a youngling, her parents had hired the best scholars to teach her. She'd been taught proper manors, how to be lady like, and any other skill that she'd been told was necessary for her life as a Princess.
She'd also been taught life morals. The Royal Court is high above any commoner, and should be treated as such. Any person who neglected to give the Royal Court the respect they deserved should be punished in any way the Court saw fit. The Royal Court had earned their spot in society, as had the commoners. The commoners were weak phesants, and the Royal Court was doing them a favor by keeping them in the lowly spot they lived in.
It made perfect sense to any nobleman. Not one person argued. Those in the Royal Court saw this as fair. The commoners were said to believe the same.
But as the Crown Princess, Avalona had been sent on many trips to give the commoners a "treat". They could stand in the streets and watch her pass by in her elegant grace and beauty.
But there was more to this arrangement then meets the eye. Not many knew the rules Avalona faced. She was not allowed to look, speak, or listen to any of the commoners, as they "didn't deserve such mercy". She could only sit, head held high, and ride on her carriage until the wait was over.
The commoners saw the Princess, and they longed to be like her, with such riches and happiness at her fingertips. The crowds adored her everywhere she went.
And Avalona hated it. She was the only person that knew. She had grown strong in character, playing the role of her parent's idea of a perfect princess. But she kept her secret to herself, showing not a sign of the hatred she had for her life.
For even as she traveled to her parades all over the kingdom, she saw the horrid lives the commoners were forced to live. When she was young and clueless, she had believed her mother's words, saying that they deserved this.
Until one day she'd opened her eyes and looked down at the crowd. She had wanted a glimpse of her subjects, but instead, she caught the eyes of a poor family. A mother in raggid, stained clothes. By her side, a dirty little girl clung to her mother's skirt. And in the woman's arms, a helpless baby boy.
And at that moment, Avalona had recognized the truth. These people didn't live the lives her mother had tried to tell Avalona about. They were not living in luxury under her family's rule. They lived in hard, defeating poverty, and they were simply born into it. They hadn't earned this spot. They were forced into such a life. Avalona could have just as easily been a poor commoner then the Crown Princess.
Her mother had swatted her hand until it bruised when she'd heard of Avalona's findings that day. And from then on Avalona kept her feelings to herself.
"Princess, we have arrived." Reginold called from above. Avalona grudgingly put her old face back on. The Princess Face, she called it.
"Excellent!" She called back. "I'd like to exit my carriage now!"
The door opened for her, as usual. A tall guard held it open, bowing as she stepped out onto the road.
"Welcome home, Princess." He said.
"Yes, thank you." She replied distractedly. "Are my parents in the Throne Room?"
"Yes, My Lady." He answered.
She moved up the steps and into the Castle, where the Throne Room awaited.

What do you think of Avalona now? How is the character build up?