Ch. 4 - Avalona

"Mother? Father?" Avalona called upon entering the castle.
"Avalona!" A silky smooth voice called back.
Avalona emerged from the long hallway and into the Throne Room. On the throne sat the king himself.
King Gordan VII was a strong brute. It was clear he'd seen the battlefields more than once in his life. Scars marked his arms and neck. This was why he had gained so much respect. A king who fights his own battles is one renowned for fairness.
His other features included peircing blue eyes and a closely shaven beard to match his shaggy hair. Both were dark brown and had flecks of gray shining through.
To his right stood a tall, elagant woman; the Queen. Her blonde hair was tied back in a magnificent hairdo; one that even matched Avalona's at the moment. Her blue eyes were not as icy as the King's, but more deep. Her lips were rosey and her cheek were flushed. Avalona was often told she resembled her mother in every feature.
"Welcome home, Avalona." The Queen said.
"Thank you, Mother." The Princess curtsied.
"I expect you're trip was comfortable?" The King asked. It wasn't so much as a question for Avalona. It was meant as a threat to the guards. If my daughter has something that she is unpleased by, you will fix it. Or else.
"Yes, Father. The trip was very fine indeed." Avalona promised.
"How were the commoners, dear?" Her mother asked.
Here, Avalona knew better then to act pleased. Her mother wasn't asking for Avalona's sake. She wanted a reason to punish the people. To show her power. It was the Royal Court's favorite trick. And if she didn't, her mother would know she was betraying her "duty a Princess". So, Avalona was forced to complain.
"Oh, Mother!" She exclaimed, painting her own face with disgust. "They were filthy! Didn't wear more than rags!"
The Queen gasped. "They hadn't cleaned up? Not even as the Crown Princess passes through!" She fanned her face. "An outrage! Gordan, you must fix this!"
"Quite right, Eleanor!" The king responded in fury. "Hosé!"
A servant boy scuttled around the throne and bowed.
"My Lord?"
"Release new orders at once! If a member of the Royal Court is scheduled to pass through a village, all people are to dress with the best attire and cleanse themselves! No acceptions!"
"Yes, My Lord." Hosé scampered away.
Avalona felt the guilt crash down on her, but she couldn't show it. Not yet.
"Mother," Avalona purred. Both her parents turned toward her expectantly.
"I'm awfully exhausted. Might I be excused to my quarters?"
"Oh, yes dear." The queen soothed. "Get as much rest as you need."
Avalona curtsied once more before walking off, head held high until she could be in private, to sulk over what she'd done.