the S U M M I T

I know I can't ask you to wait... I just hope that you can understand.

I savored that sentence.

Sasuke's voice repeated those words over and over in my mind. It was as close to a confession as I was going to receive from him, and I was strangely okay with that. I understood his internal conflict. I understood his need to avenge his brother. I understood his anger and his pain and his guilt. But most of all, I understood why all of that had to come first.

There was simply no space for me in his heart when it was so full of acid. He was too focused on finishing out this part of his life, this quest for the truth, to even consider making enough room for me.

"Of course I understand," I whispered to him as he held me. "I always will."

He wanted me; he wanted us, but there was no room for an us in this world right now. Not when he still had so much left to do.

So, for now, I would settle for the memories that we shared. I would remember the way his eyes always searched mine for any sign of deceit. I would remember how his cheeks tinged pink under the influence of sake. I would remember the way his voice said my name or the way he kissed me with such emotion or how his skin felt hot against my own. I would simply remember.

And for now, that would be enough.

"Hey, you alright?" Suigetsu asked from my right, eyeing me slightly. "You've been pretty quiet today."

I nodded, staring ahead at Sasuke's form as we continued through the trees.

"I will be."

As I replied, Sasuke glanced back at me as if to confirm with his own eyes that I wasn't putting on an act. He held my gaze briefly before he looked forward again, but the gestured warmed my heart and made a small smile spread across my face.

Don't worry about me, Sasuke. I'll be fine.

Our group left the Akatsuki hideout hours ago, officially rid of of the title and the tacky robes now that we upheld our part of the bargain. Currently, we were headed to the Hidden Leaf Village on Sasuke's orders. I wasn't particularly fond of the idea of taking an entire heavily armed village by storm, but at the moment I couldn't see myself anywhere else.

"Sasuke," Tobi's voice suddenly greeted the Uchiha as his body materialized out of thin air before us. Our group came to an abrupt halt and I silently cursed myself for not being able to sense his chakra sooner, yet again.

"Aw man, bad timing," Suigetsu said exasperatedly next to me. He clearly shared my distaste for this man as well.

"How did you know where to find me?" Sasuke asked him in a stern voice.

"Don't underestimate me," he shot back darkly. "I have considerable powers."

"So what do you want with me now?" Sasuke grumbled back, obviously aggravated at his sudden arrival. "The Taka left the Akatsuki. We're done with you."

"As it stands, you reneged your promise to me," Tobi said with a carefree voice, although his body language did not seem carefree in the least.

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about hunting the tailed beast," he replied simply.

"We already caught the eight tails and delivered it to you," Karin chimed in.